Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharkfan86

Rod an reel combo

4 posts in this topic

New to surf fishing for sharks can anyone suggest a good rod and reel combo for sharks about 4 to 5 feet? And if not a combo just a good rod or reel. Preferably spinning reels thanks for any help.

Tics 12'0 rod rated 8-10 ounces, not to expensive yet very strong, as for reels, I'm not to familiar with spinning. Can't really help there. I've caught 10 ft sandtigers and 8 ft sandbars on the tica. If u want to learn shark fishing techniques I can take ya out, message me for more info.

If it where me just for casting to sharks, Ocean Master rod from bass pro with a Shimano baitrunner reel, the old style 6500B if you can still get one would be slightly preferable to the new ones.

I use spinning stuff. I have a Penn battle 8000 size that I got on eBay for $75 new and it's about as sturdy a reel as I can imagine ever using. It's huge and the bail closing sounds like cocking a shotgun. 25lbs of drag. However, the Sargus and Fierce 7000 sizes also has 25lbs of drag and are significantly cheaper. I have a Sargus, and I have handled a Fierce, and they're very nice reels.

disclaimer: I've never caught a shark over ~20lbs (yet). But the reel has handled 40-50lb rays easily. No heat problems or sticky drags, which were the problems I have found on other reels.