Dannyboy

Green Head Flies

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, new to the site and looking for some camping advice for Assateague Island. Ive been there in the summer and i fought the flies, they were pretty bad. Does anyone know when the flies take over the beach down there, and when is the best time to camp in the spring before the flies come out. I would apperciate any input. Thanks, Danny

Flies get bad as soon as the weather gets hot, normally early June they start and get worse through summer.

Welcome Dannyboy,I dont camp much anymore,but I hit the boat ramps at sunrise all along the coast,and carry Maxi deet that I get at bass pro to keep insects at bay.I would be careful putting it on children.April and may are not too bad,cool nights seem to keep the volume down.Just something we have to deal with in this marshy area.....

Flies aren't usually too bad unless there is a west wind. Then LOOK OUT!!!!!!

As other as said, usually mid June is when they get pretty pesky.

I don't know why this works, but for me if I keep my legs propped up on something like a cooler, the flies don't seem to bother me, once i put them down in the sand they are after my ankles big time. I think one carried my foot away one day.

West wind = flies and skeeters

Even out in a boat,In a west wind you cant escape the flies.Blows them right out of the woods.........

Most of the marshy and stagnant areas are on the west side of the island.

If you are on the west side of the island crabbing or fishing, you are ok with a west wind.

Anything east of the west side is trouble.

An onshore blow is the best, feels good in the summer too.

Generally, as the land heats up during the day, it pulls cooler air in off the ocean (east wind) and rises.

During the evening and night when it's clear, cooler air descends and moves out over the ocean, west wind.

That is general, wx systems will indeed switch things around.

During the summer, we get a lot of wind coming up parallel to the beach, black fly wx.

Their bite is just as bad (to me) as the greenies, and there are a lot more of them.