16 posts in this topic

My oldest daughter wants to go to tennis camp, so in all fairness I think I should make sure my youngest has a camp to enjoy as well. I surfed the web and found a few but most of them are quite a distance away. Does anyone have information on a local/semi-local Kid's fishing camp? If not...maybe we should leave it up to Sam to create the DELMARVA.COM Kid's Fishing Fest :D

I don't know about kids but if there was a grown up fishing camp I'd go. Have all the famous guides be there to take you fishing and tell you what works and what doesn't. Is there a 3 month version?

i remember seing a post on a flyanglersonline board about a nationwide group that taught kids to fly fish. they had week long things int he sumer if i remember correctly. i cant remember thier name, it was something different, like "order of the so and so", dd a sear couldnt find it, i will keep looking

Yeah, I found that one too, but since I don't fly fish, she's never done it before. I think that is more of an art than a sport LOL, so if she wants to pick up fly fishing, I'll let her do that on her own time. She's all about getting out there and catching the fish. I think hours and hours of class and practice casting would actually turn her off to it at the Ripe old age of 8. :D

thats just the only one ive heard of, lol. yeah maybe someone should start one.

I'm sure it'd be a huge hit. Maybe it could be as easy as using the group campsite at AI for a week 3 times a year, spring, summer and fall. Buying some of the big canvas camptents, a bunch of tables (for classes and eating) A few experienced surf fishermen (one of which can cook) Few hundred bucks per kid for the week and we'd be all set huh? Imagine that kids getting out there during the summer and learning how to catch those big old Charkies

Sounds like a great idea, I guess we would have to leave the beer out of that camp..:shock: Still a good idea though.

There was a guy who used to post on Oyster Bay Tackle who talked about running some camp in Salisbury. If I get the chance to search it up, I will-anyone remember this offhand?

Seriously though: I would love to be involved with a project like that.... there is nothing more exciting than watching a kid catch their first fish..:D

you would think they just conquered the world.

Yep, me too, would love to do it.

Long as we don't get skunked....

I have a habit of that.

Fresh and salt water would be good.

Sell franchises, etc...;)

I actually thought about it last night, and yeah it would be a great idea. I 15-20 acre parcel of land somewhere on the eastern shore, get a bus, you would have access to freshwater, bay and ocean. If you could manage to book 30 kids each week for the 12 weeks of summer at $500 per kid for the week that would total about 180k in a summer. $20 an hour for 3 other full time employees for the summer at 8 hours a week (hey who's gonna complain about 40 hours at $20 an hour when they get to fish the whole time) would total about $40k in labor. Another 40k in expenses, food, bait, rigging and maybe some donations to some Bigger names to come and give seminars (although I'd like to think some of the bigger names would do it for free because of the cause) would still leave about $100k to go towards salary for the owner and mortgage on the property. And that is all 3 months. Could also throw in 3 day mini camps spring and fall for people.

There is just SOOOO much you can do with a piece of property in the "off months". Plant corn for goosers, paintball, geocache course, etc....

But the initial cost is a leap of faith....

My cousin has a piece of propert in princess anne, I'm not sure the chicken poop smell would go good with the camp concept. Its only 10 acres but about 1 1/2 miles form teh manokin river, 20 min from deale island and just about an hour from AI....could have potential.

hey i have chicken coops next door to me, in princess anne, you get used to it