greenmtnman

Ocracoke/Hatteras at Thanksgiving???

9 posts in this topic

Rentals are already filling up for next year in Ocracoke.

Unfortunately, the wife and I don't have the money this year to go to Ocracoke during the summer. It's much much cheaper (rentals are nearly 1/2) to go during Thanksgiving, plus it saves us time off, plus it gives us more time to save for it. We'd like to do that, but only if the fishing is as good or better than it normally is during Mid-June-Mid-July.

Any thoughts? We will split time between surf and boat (money limiting).

It's sad we can't go during the summer but it's just going to be to hard this year (I also got a spot on a sponsored cycling team and that chews up a lot of time).

Thanks!

this year there will be a fee just to ride on the beach, mite start in feb, check before you go. also lic to fish

this year there will be a fee just to ride on the beach, mite start in feb, check before you go. also lic to fish

Never had any need to ride on the beach, we always do fine without ORV, and there's always been a license fee for $10.

and there's always been a license fee for $10.

always ?

no , it has just been in the past 5 years or so ...............

right, my mistake: we've only been going for 5 years, so to me there's always been a fee.

From Tradewinds Facebook page (the tackle shop on the island)-

If you are going to rent a boat, you need to come in either Sept or Oct as the weather can be really touch and go. The fishing soundside is usually done by November as the water cools off and the fish move out thru the inlet to the ocean for the winter in October. Our most consistant and best fishing is in Sept and October but we will have potential hurricanes in the end of August and Sept with our really warm water before it begans to cool in October and starts the fish moving. Summertime fishing is usually smaller fish in close on shrimp or cut bait. Fall usually has larger fish using bait.

and

Thanksgiving time can be good or bad- it is very weather dependant. Several years ago we had a Nor'easter come through and everyone was stuck inside. However, this year was nice especially the beginning of the week with several nice catches. The beach is beautiful and much less crowded than the summer. The shops and resturants are usually still open for this week on the island.

yeah so sounds like we won't go because it's not worth it, but maybe...there's always a chance! however, I now have a plan in the works with my buddy to hit up fire island national sea shore in early June (right off long island, ny). supposed to be really great that time of year, not too far a drive from where i live...and my friend lives in NYC so it's a no brainier...

and a group of us decided on a weekend for AI as well...but that's another topic for another thread...

I walk ( live ) NYC 13+ years but never fish the NY waters, I move around - The Bronx, Yonkers, the city and never fish. But some of my friends make the trip to Long Island for sripped and always bring something.

Good luck and have fun If the trip come to be a done deal :icon_thumright: