BLACK ADDER

James River Cats

6 posts in this topic

It being winter and me fishing surf and piers all the time now, I move the show west,up the James River, this time of year. I have fished up on the Chickahominy with Andrew K, but we have yet to find any blue cats over 7 or 8 lbs, which James River Catmen wouldn't even mention. Since I am new on this site (even though I recognize most of the user names from other sites) I was wondering if anyone has had bank fishing success up that way? I have a half dozen smallish panfish I have in my aquarium for the next trip "out west."

Appreciate any comeback.

BA

Reply to self...

Fished Chickahominy, Lone Star Lakes, stopped at Lawrence Lewis Pier, Petersburg Point, Fort Monroe Pier...Basically took a tour of the James River bank fishing locals. Had one good run on eel, saw one white perch caught, my crew had eight or nine rods out at different locales...and caught nothing. My live bait (small bream) were not the ticket, at least the spots we fished.

Oh well...

Happy New Years to All!

BA

Hey BA glad you found this site. we will find the catfish one day!

Head to dutch gap. That is where I fish when I'm targetting the blue cats. I have yet to manage the monsters, but I know plenty of people who have, and have seen plenty of people catch them there.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

When you say Dutch Gap, are we talking bank fishing? I am strictly bank fishing with my five and seven year old grandsons now...their mother knows my "boating history" and forbids them to get on a boat with me! The nerve!

And ,hey,Andrew! Caught nine nice yellow perch here in VB Saturday and one 4lb catfish in about an hour. Perch were into the chartreuse 1/32 oz jig, catfish liked nightcrawler. I think the challenge of catching fish in the winter is what keeps me from hibernating with many local anglers (let 'em hibernate, I say...A little cold is worth having your spots to yourself!)

God bless and Happy New Year to All!

BA