wdinarte

Canoe with electric motor

7 posts in this topic

I have a question friends ?

The idea of a canoe with the option to have a electric motor, is this a good idea ?

I did some research, and check some videos and looks a good idea but will this be good to put some little money ?... here I have some facts:- My fishing is most of the time fresh waters

- I don't have the power ( $$$ ) for a real boat

- Should be used by two adults and two childrens

- garage storage option ( my only option )

Any of you guys try a motor canoe ?... looking for opinion :icon_frown:

Thanks guys!

I've done it plenty of times. My honest opinion.....Get a canoe to use as a canoe. Then get a john boat to use with the motor. To use a motor on a canoe you need to do one of two things. Get a "Scanoe", which is a square backed canoe, or hook up some sort of mounting system. Both a canoe and john boat can be picked up on Craigslist for about the same price. I often see john boats on craigslist with trailer, motor & life jackets for 350-1000. So, that addresses the $$$$ issue. two adults and two children, that is a HUGE problem with a canoe. Rated for more or not, you are going to find yourself flipped and wet, and completely out of room. When I'm fishing from a canoe, I prefer to be in the canoe by myself. Lastly, your storage option.....A 12' John boat.....well that is shorter than a 15-17' canoe :) A flat bottom john boat can be put upright and leaned flat against the wall, a canoe because of the rise of the front and rear will actually take up more space in the garage. I've been fishing from canoes, kayaks and john boats since I was a little kid and all 3 have their purposes, but for what you're describing, I would definitely go with a 10-14' john boat and an electric motor.

Thanks Jef...

Yes 100% with you, I was on the target of a square backed canoe from one of the retail stores.

and yes my concern was the " flipped and wet ", I never use a canoe but I did use a John Boat from one of the rental places and I like it, is real stable and I have the whole "troop" ( family ) with Me and NOT a problem to moved around and we didn't have a motor.

Again... Thanks for your help, I will send a letter to "santa" or "uncle sam - with tax return" that I would like to have a John Boat in my garage for next year, I know they will say that I need the WIFE signature for approval but... will cross that bridge when I got there. lol lol :eusa_dance:

Thanks, :icon_surprised:

when i was a kid my dad bought a canoe at a garage sale that was aluminum and had been cut short. they cut the rear end off, about 12" worth. then they cut a piece of high grad pressure treated wood to fit perfectly, then sealed and waterproof the seam around it. it never leaked, not once. we had it for at least 7 or 8 years. he bought the whole thing for $75 with motor and battery, paddles, crappy life jackets, seat cushions, and a bilge pump. we used it all the time. make sure the battery cables are long enough to put the battery in the front of the boat...it gets interesting otherwise. we would often start by casting our favorite spots, then would troll with it for 2-3hrs, then once it started slowing we'd bee-line it back towards home. but we often wouldn't make it, but no problem, we'd just paddle. caught my largest freshwater bass in that thing- over 6lbs. we also had a john boat but never used it because the canoe was way easier to haul. but no way we could have fished with 4 anythings in the canoe. we brought mom once and it just turned into tangles and fighting. it is really nice to have a silent fishing vessel that you don't have to power though...i really liked it as a kid.

forgot to add that when he did sell it finally, like i said some 7-10 years later, he sold the whole thing for $150, with the same battery, motor, and all. :)

Thanks, greenmtnman...

Like you and others say probable for 1-2 it is ok, but 4 will be too many.

I Will save my 10c for a J-boat, I used one at the rental place and the whole family was just fine I paddle around and back with NOT problem.

Great memories from early days, :icon_thumright:

Just remember if you do put a motor on a canoe or kayak some states might require you to register it and get a sticker.