33 posts in this topic

I would like to know if there are any "sites"that show how to make surf fishing rigs ie:fish finder,drum rig,stripper rig etc.I can't seem to find any on a google search.

I would like if any one can tell me why a drum rig,from the last swivel to the hook is so much shorter then others,like the basic stripper rig for example...

do a search on here, sorry I don't do links well;)

but Scott and Steve make ther own and have post-up pics

oh & welcome aboard:D

What knot do you use to attach the leader to the barrel swivel ?

Thanks,

Excalibur

I have switched to trilene and improved clinch

I pretty much always use a trilene knot for mono to swivel connections. Just wondered if someone used something they thought was better.

Never tried improved clinch. I'll need to look that one up.

Excalibur

I use trilene for up to about 20 or 30 lb mono, but I don't like it on heavier lines.

For most of the rigs I've been making (using 40-80lb mono) I have been using the palomar as it seems to work much better than the trilene for me, is EXTREMELY simple to tie, and has a double line through the swivel (just like the trilene). So for the fishfinder rig above w/ 80lb, I snell the hook and use polamar on the swivel. However, if I attached my running line to that swivel (without a shock), I'll use the trilene.

I know others don't seem to have issue with the trilene on 80lb line, but I do, and so far the Palomar has worked great for me.... haven't had a reason to change.

For drums and stripers, I use a 80lb leader from 3"- 10" with a 10/0 or 12/0 circle demon mustad hook,,,the short leader is attached to my 40lb or 50lb shock leader that is 15' - 20' long,,,catch blues with this setup as well,,,shorter the leader, the longer the casting distance,,,I generally use a 3" leader for drums and 5" for stripers,,,sometimes a little longer for stripers,,,I snell the circle hook,,,here is a pic below of the basic fish finder rig,,,this is my main rig for stripers and drum and use this pretty much all spring and fall,,,there are others I use like a high/low rig, not really a high low, just keeps 2 baits out in the water.

What brand fish finder slider are you using? I have broken off too many weights with the local tackle shop brand sliders I went back to the large coastlock snap and a bead method.

I dunno' the brand but I use the green one that Bev sells. They're twice the price (.50) of the white ones that break.

Yep - i use the green/blue ones as well (a lot of places call them "heavy duty" versus "standard"). They are a bit beefier and shouldn't break as easy as the white ones, but I would think the mcmahon snaps would be the strongest of all ? DUnno - neer had one of the green/blue ones break...

I've never had any of the white ones break:confused:

do they break from pitching to much lead, big fish or?

I'm sure not all of the white ones are the same. There are probably a ka-jillion manufacturers of white FFs. Some junk, some good.

What usually fails is the plastic "loop" where the clip attaches. With a big weight, maybe anything above a 6, it will split. And if you are REALLY putting your backside into the cast, like making the pole whistle, it'll break on lesser weights.

I've never had any of the white ones break:confused:

do they break from pitching to much lead, big fish or?

braid can saw through them. another reason i really dont like braid

Don't put it on the braid, put it on the shock leader.

Braid saws through fingers too....

I am not sure what brand they are, but I buy them from harbor tackle,,,very strong and will not break,,,I use a different snap then what she sells,,,she has just the green slider without snap which are the ones I buy.

a nice thing about those is they will not damage the knot like the typical snap swivels or having to use beads.

I'm sure not all of the white ones are the same. There are probably a ka-jillion manufacturers of white FFs. Some junk, some good.

What usually fails is the plastic "loop" where the clip attaches. With a big weight, maybe anything above a 6, it will split. And if you are REALLY putting your backside into the cast, like making the pole whistle, it'll break on lesser weights.

well thier 'ya go, my surfcasting technique suxxs and needs alot of work, Im damn sure I am not putting all 290lbs of my-ass into my-cast;)

Which snap Coop? Will Bev know which one when I go in there?

Careful with that rig, the swivel can rub through the mono....

Especially if it has any imperfications in the metal.

Which snap Coop? Will Bev know which one when I go in there?

Steve I get my snaps from Akes,,,Bev didnt have the ones I use,,,she also has them with snaps and I treid them but I snapped one (seemed very lightweight material) and decided it would be better to use another snap.

Careful with that rig, the swivel can rub through the mono....

Especially if it has any imperfications in the metal.

Eighty Pound Cajun Leader 1.07mm is not going to wear through very quickly. I am now currently using Suffix 100 pound .90mm for my leaders and shock leaders. Tough stuff to be sure. Be happy don't worry

Well Coop, not all of us have the power that you do. :shock:

And I mean that in a good way.

You sling your rig out at about 200 foot per second, that's moving!

That's prolly why you have had more break offs than many of us.

So far, I haven't broken the green one Bev sells that has the clip already attached.

My shoulder doesn't permit me to put all the beef into the toss.

Gawd, I'm getting old!!!!!

Well Coop, not all of us have the power that you do. :shock:

And I mean that in a good way.

You sling your rig out at about 200 foot per second, that's moving!

That's prolly why you have had more break offs than many of us.

So far, I haven't broken the green one Bev sells that has the clip already attached.

My shoulder doesn't permit me to put all the beef into the toss.

Gawd, I'm getting old!!!!!

Steve, those snaps that came with greenies broke off on me twice,,,figured it would be a wise idea to switch snaps and have never had one break on me yet.

Coop, have no idea where Akes is.

Next time ya go, pick me up a dozen or so?

if you can spare the room on your rod use one of those thimble things on the mono will keep the swivel from cutting through it. won't go throug the eyes on your rod so your leader has to be shorter, but less chance of loosing a fish what the hell