Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flatfish

FAIR WARNING: Selling Frozen 4 Fresh

3 posts in this topic

:angry4::angry4::angry4:

I've been calling around for the last two days from Jersey to Maryland and all in between looking for some FRESH bunker. I left my name at several places and asked them to call me if they got any FRESH.

I talked to one guy early this a.m. he said he had a netter out of Milford who was going to deliver some FRESH this afternoon. I get the call at 1:30, take off work and drive 50 miles down to the beach. I get to the Tackle shop on NEW RD. in LEWES <acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware">De</acronym></acronym></acronym>. and go in to pick up my FRESH. I go in the back, and lo and behold, the clown is thawing out flats of frozen Bunker from Kool Ice in Cambridge in coolers full of water:angry4::angry4::angry4: I was furious. Not only was it still frozen, it looked like it was half rotten when it was frozen. It was only fit for crab pot bait. It was all I could do not to go Rambo at the THREE guys behind the counter, and I'm pretty sure they got the message about how P.O'd I was about the situation too:icon_rambo:

I sure miss Harbor Tackle, It was a 180 mile round trip but never once did Bev LIE about the quality of her bait.

I don't understand how a businessman can flat out lie to their customers and expect to still stay in business. Lying about the product you are selling is FRAUD, plain and simple.

Rant Over:BangHead:

I have about ten bags of frozen bunker that was vac packed within 2 hours of coming off the boat. I guess I'll be using that and clams tomorrow. Hopefully someone gets some by the weekend.:book1:

I went to Perms and Worms yesterday on Route 1 to pick up some bait. All they had was frozen mullet. It must have been frozen then thawed and then frozen again. It would completely turn to mush in your hands as you tried to put it on the hook. Really frustrating. I'm not saying it was intentional but it is still crummy to sell bait in that condition.

Well, I am kicking myself for not seeing this post before I went down today!

I went to Ole Salt Bait and Tackle on New Road in Lewes today and was told a great story by the guys behind the counter. "We have FRESH bunker!" they said. "We drove over and hour and a half just to get it this morning." So I figured I was going to have a great day on the beach and hopefully catch some dinner...

Needless to say, I didn't inspect the bait before I left, just paid them my $9 for about 6 fish and was on my way. Once I got everything set up on the beach ready to bait up, I started cutting some chunks. The first thing I noticed was the puff of air that came from the bunker as I pressed on it. I cut a chunk and it was pure MUSH!!! 100% frozen/thawed Bunker! I wanted to drive back to the bait shop and complain, but by the time I packed up, refilled the tires, drove back etc, etc... my day would be ruined. So I tried to make the best of it, but the only part of the Bunker that would stay on a hook was the head.

I can honestly say it was a very frustrating day. Had I been told the TRUTH by the guys at Ole Salt, I would have opted for some clams or artificial bait so I wouldn't have spent the day watching chunks of fish fly one way while my rig flew another!

So from my experience today I say BEWARE of "FRESH BUNKER" being sold at Ole Salt Bait and Tackle in Lewes!!!