Andrew K

Drum Report - Back Bay NWR Night Time Fishing

12 posts in this topic

In case you didnt' know, the good folks down at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge are selling permits to allow you to fish the beach until midnight all through the month of October. This is something that has been in the works for almost 5 years, thanks to VCAN it became a reality this year. So for $35 you can fish after dark at my favorite stretch of beach in VA.

Last night, 2 hours after high tide, Mark aka Bucket beached this 47" beaty. Congrats Mark!

5852a5ab0ed0d_MarkBBNWRDrum08OCT2011.jpg

Great job, Mark! Beautiful fish ya go there. :icon_thumright:

FYI for our Virginia saltwater fishing brethren know that the red drum run at Sandbridge is just getting started now and the night surf fishing permit

for Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge is the best 35 bucks that they’ll spend on drum fishing.

Story goes like this here: Last night (Oct. 8th, 2011) about 8PM at the first wood walkover of Back Bay NWR beach I caught and released this 47” red

just after casting a small spot head past the bar. This bull smoked the drag out of the sand spike. I was bowed up in a hurry with this monster and she was

headed for the horizon so I hit her with some more drag and finally got her turned. Then she took me about 100 more yards north before working her up

onto the beach for the photo opt, tape, tag, and successful release. Big thanks to Andrew and Darrell in providing the drum assist (clearing the other lines, spot lighting the line, and landinging support) on this beauty.

Our non-profit thanks to the USFWS and the Back Bay NWR refuge staff especially Refuge Superintendent Walter Tegge and Biologist Chris Hernandez who are directly overseeing the Refuge’s night surf fishing program.

Tight lines and screaming drags!

Mark

man a pic like that makes me want to kik the bucket.........haha, awsome just awsome :icon_pray:

I hit the beach with the wife yesterday from 1000 - 1530 and it was non-stop Drum action catching two at a time sometimes !!

Unfortunately they were all 9-12" baby Black Drum.

I'm going to try to use my pass for the first time tonight before the next 2-3 days of crappy weather arrives.

Once again thanks to all of you VCAN guys for making this happen and the Refuge guys for working with you to allow it to happen !!

Even though I didn't catch anything but those pesky bait-stealing Bluefish on Monday night it was great to have the privilidge to be there. It was great see you all out there even though it was when I was leaving but after being set up on what I thought was "the spot" I didn't want to move just to come down and crowd you guys out in order to fish with you.

No more reports so it sounds like I made the right decision to keep my other plans last night ??

nothing more to report! there are still reds in the bay so there its still hope.....................

I heard the pier has caught a few in the past week but slooooooow for them too. I'll be paying a visit again next week. If I remember correctly it's closed tomorow and the end of next week also for the hunters.

There is a few keeper Specs in Lynnhaven now. After weeding through a couple hundred in the last few days I finally found a 20"er this morning, he's been invited home for dinner.

Me and Dad slammed the spot and specks at the narrows last weekend. So lets hope the NNE wind this weekend gets the bait and reds moving along the surf. Is Back Bay closed for a hunt this Saturday?