Dave

october 2011 fishing reports

38 posts in this topic

Well September definitely produced some odd catches for our area for this time of year, pompano, little black drum, striper, shark, yet the elusive red drum remains just that. I've been one of the fortunate few to catch a red this fall hopefully a few more are caught, Rt 50 bridge is producing shad, blues, rock and flounder. Won't be to long till we start getting striper in the surf on a regular basis. Most importantly get out there and catch. Post your reports here regardless of outcome. Have fun and be safe.

Eastern Bay/Miles River

Water temp: upper 60's - low 70's

Clarity: clear

Sky: overcast/cloudy

Air temp: upper 50's - low 60's

Wind: NW @ about 10kts. increased to 20kts.

Waves: 1'-2' increased to 3'-4'

Time: 3:30 - 7:00

Tide: low to incoming

Lures: BPS 1oz. to 2oz. metal spoons/ 1/2oz. to 3/4oz lead heads with Gulp twister tails (white/chartreuse)/top water jerk-baits

Launched at about 3 and headed across EB to the mouth of the Miles. Ran across one debris field but wasn't too bad. Came across some working birds/fish and decided to throw some metal at them for a bit. Kept half a dozen snappers and released twice as many. Our main tartget was trout. After our fill of snappers we headed on up the Miles a bit to some grassy banks in the hopes of finding some trout.

We went up a creek a few yards and let the moving water drift us back over along some grass beds. We immediately started to get into fish with the Gulp but were getting short rockfish and snappers. After the first drift we decided to go at it again and this time made a longer drift along the shoreline down along a rocky portion. We managed fish on just about every cast and released I don't know how many.

Ended up with a variety of fish - one keeper rock (lost one), several very, very large white perch (on top waters), and a few more keeper sized snappers. Never did manage any of the trout we were hoping for. Wrong place, wrong time? By about this time it was getting late, the rain was starting, and the wind decided to pick up along with the swells... all of which made for a fun ride back to the ramp.

All in all it was great to get out with my b-in-law again and manage enough fish for a couple of decent dinners.

Hit the RT50 brige last night and to night not much last night but I had the schools # and brought 3 or 4 short rocks and 2 good size blues over the railing

Hit the RT50 brige and the surf (what a gas bill that was hole cow!!!!!!) Did no good in the surf but saw 3 keeper rock walk off and took a 18ish blue my self also got one thick flatie but he lives for someone else's hook

Any one els doing good or bad? If bad tell me ware NOT TO FISH lol

From the surf, a few small blues, and a skate, moved to the bridge, managed 6 schoolie rock biggest being 26".

With the striped boys around the corner FUN will be soon... I hope.

BUT it is cold I camp/fish the weekend of October 1frst and was cold ( well the wind was the bad part ) if you have a RV you are good to go, but we camp on tents :icon_surprised:.

I pull some blues,skate, and a baby shark.

BUT it is cold I camp/fish the weekend of October 1frst and was cold ( well the wind was the bad part ) if you have a RV you are good to go, but we camp on tents :icon_surprised:.

keep moving you'll stay warm! :)

and remember, thermal underware only works to a point under waters lol:fish:

Fished behind Ocean City today for tautog and flounder. Two short flounder between 15-17" and eight tog with five keepers. Had fresh sushi for lunch!

Josh, thanks again for the invite!

Heard of one 50" red yesterday.

I havnt been down in a while so Im assuming the hurricane didnt wash the island away. Is the ORV section still open?

Fish a section of the Potomac on 10/9 the MD side, NOT luck but a good day to hold a fishing Rod !

MD. portion of AI

Air temp: mid 70's

Water temp: upper 60's to low 70's (just a guess, but it felt nice)

Tide: Outgoing to incoming

Seas: 1' - 2'

Water: clear

Baits: chunks/FBBW/clam/whole mullet

Winds: light and variable

Sky: sunny/bright

North of the "Bullpen"

Arrived late Friday afternoon/early evening. Loaded up on some bait, ate a good meal and turned in.

Sat.

Had the rods in the water by 7 to fish the outgoing (late I know). We located a small break in the bar and had set up shop there. One rod was on the North side of the break, one in the pocket, and another on the South side. Was not really any sort of bite throughout most of the day. fishingirlpa and I just chilled in the fantastic October weather we were having. The Hurricanes and mudslides were going down real easy. Surprisingly we only managed one small spot all day.

It wasn't until the incoming towards dusk that things picked up for us and the snappers started to bite. We managed half a dozen for the smoker and released I don't know how many while watching the beautiful moon rising over the ocean. We called it a day around 8.

Sun.

Was pretty much the same as Sat. for us. This time we located another break in the bar a little further South and fished pretty much the same pattern as the day before. This time we managed to get on the outgoing bite and started to nail the snappers right away. After icing half a dozen or so we again chilled and enjoyed the great weather and beverages. As usual, the evening incoming bite picked up again, and again, we started to nail the snappers. The bigger rod, loaded for bear, was dutifully soaking when it got slammed. The clicker was screaming as line was peeling off. By the time the rod was removed from the holder there was nothing but slack in the line. Frantically reeling to try and get a set on whatever had picked up the chunk turned out to be fruitless. We have no idea what slammed the big rod, we'd been hoping for a red drum, but alas, it wasn't to be. By the time all of the slack was taken up the monster from the deep had spit the hook. The way line was peeled off one would have thought that the 5/0 circle had done its job. Not this time. We called it a day around 8 again. One has to see how beautiful the "Harvest moon" looks rising over the ocean to really appreciate it.

No matter, we shared the perfect weekend at the beach and managed a few fish for the smoker. Maybe the bite will pick up this weekend!!

BTW, heard there were close to, if not over, 600 entrants in this year's O.C. surf fishing competition. Congrats to the winners!

MD. portion of AI

Air temp: mid 70's

Water temp: upper 60's to low 70's (just a guess, but it felt nice)

Tide: Outgoing to incoming

Seas: 1' - 2'

Water: clear

Baits: chunks/FBBW/clam/whole mullet

Winds: light and variable

Sky: sunny/bright

North of the "Bullpen"

Arrived late Friday afternoon/early evening. Loaded up on some bait, ate a good meal and turned in.

Sat.

Had the rods in the water by 7 to fish the outgoing (late I know). We located a small break in the bar and had set up shop there. One rod was on the North side of the break, one in the pocket, and another on the South side. Was not really any sort of bite throughout most of the day. fishingirlpa and I just chilled in the fantastic October weather we were having. The Hurricanes and mudslides were going down real easy. Surprisingly we only managed one small spot all day.

It wasn't until the incoming towards dusk that things picked up for us and the snappers started to bite. We managed half a dozen for the smoker and released I don't know how many while watching the beautiful moon rising over the ocean. We called it a day around 8.

Sun.

Was pretty much the same as Sat. for us. This time we located another break in the bar a little further South and fished pretty much the same pattern as the day before. This time we managed to get on the outgoing bite and started to nail the snappers right away. After icing half a dozen or so we again chilled and enjoyed the great weather and beverages. As usual, the evening incoming bite picked up again, and again, we started to nail the snappers. The bigger rod, loaded for bear, was dutifully soaking when it got slammed. The clicker was screaming as line was peeling off. By the time the rod was removed from the holder there was nothing but slack in the line. Frantically reeling to try and get a set on whatever had picked up the chunk turned out to be fruitless. We have no idea what slammed the big rod, we'd been hoping for a red drum, but alas, it wasn't to be. By the time all of the slack was taken up the monster from the deep had spit the hook. The way line was peeled off one would have thought that the 5/0 circle had done its job. Not this time. We called it a day around 8 again. One has to see how beautiful the "Harvest moon" looks rising over the ocean to really appreciate it.

No matter, we shared the perfect weekend at the beach and managed a few fish for the smoker. Maybe the bite will pick up this weekend!!

BTW, heard there were close to, if not over, 600 entrants in this year's O.C. surf fishing competition. Congrats to the winners!

Sounds like you had a fun weekend!!! I always remember those hits that got away, its what keeps me coming back to the surf!

Last night in oc.14 rock all in mid to low 20' s, 10 18-20" blues, 3 or 4 shad. Fun night.

Thx buddy, won't be long till they show in the surf.

Nope, the bridge is producing flounder mid size blues and a few keeper rock but the majority have been in the low to mid 20's.