devomd63

False Cape Fishing Report 9-27

8 posts in this topic

I finally got the chance to do some surf fishing in Virginia. Went with a buddy for a three night canoe/camping/fishing trip down to False Cape State park. For those not familiar with the area, you need to hick, bike, or canoe through BB NWR to get to False Cape. We elected to paddle.

After two days, lots of rain and bugs, I was rewarded with this 47 inch Drum using a previously caught Pompano head.

The fish took the bait at 2 hours past evening high tide near False Cape Landing. The fight was 20 minutes and took me up the beach 200 yards. After the photo she was released clean and healthy.

Thanks to my buddy for bringing his blackberry to be able to get the picture. What a journey!!

5852a5aad53de_FallDrumFalsePointSPVA.jpg

Dude! Nice fish! That sounds like quite an adventure. Hopefully I can make it out to Back Bay this weekend. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the comments guys....I'll definitely be going back in the near future....

David,

Awesome fish you earned that one for sure! Catchin' big drum on pompano :confused: Maybe I need to rethink that one now. Good to see you again. Hope to see you back down at the Refuge as the drum run is just getting started :icon_pirat:

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the VCAN stuff. I put the mug to good use on my trip.

Funny thing about the bait choice, we used up all the blues we caught and the pompano was the last thing I had to cut up so I put out the head....and had just spiked the rod and was sitting down for 10 minutes.

it was nice to hear that clicker go off.

Hope to see you down that way in the near future.

Dave