Sam

Drum Tournament on Assateague

31 posts in this topic

Need an update! Wishing I was fishing but couldn't make it this year. Good luck to those who need it!

just seen a pic. of dave with a nice 51" red! heard that was the only one caught so far.

I saw it in person.......#*$&$*!? MONSTER. Dave is about 6'3" 230lbs.... And it makes him look like a thin/scrawny man....... Picks will most likely be posted with in 12 hrs.

I so.far have cought 2 small black drum, 1 flounder, 1 dusky, 1 sk8, and the biggest pompino I've ever seen (10") but nothing big enuff to submit.

Where still fishing wish us luck

Good job, Guys and way to go Dave! Need a picture.

Dave, you are the man! I lost all hope after that ray, thinking it may of been a drum. Tired of not catching. Congrats to Andrew on the striper.

still time left but me thinks the biggest has been caught.

It ended at 6am nothing but 1 drum, 1 striped base, 1 sand tiger as far as I know

51" Drum by Dave

28.5 Striper by me :)

three sharks were measured, biggest being 66 inches.

that was it :)IMAG0099.jpg.ce13ee9fa58bde8c2d3f072aa2c

IMG_1186.jpg.abbd9f5cf1e9025e2f5376a52ac

Very nice fish, I'm sorry that I could not be a judge this year, but I hope I can make it next year

Thx guys. We cleaned house this year and brought it back to delmarva, lol.

well let me give you the play by play so to speak. general and I went out wensday to claim our territory, of course there were already a few others set up. we set up down near the line. Thursday morning Andrew joined us. at low tide we could wade through the first slough and get to the intermediate bar to cast to the outer bar. no luck. Andrew caught the 28" rock there. Friday morning i decided to move and talked it over with general and Andrew. i drove up the beach to scout. found a beautiful hole wide open. immediately called general and headed back to help pack. fished the noew hole all evening catching small black drum, large pompano, doggies, skate, small sandbars, kingfish and blues. friday night had to call it early due to bad grass.

Saturday morning around 2am i decided to throw out a sample rod to see if the grass had cleared, sure enough it wasnt totally gone but enough to deal with. Threw out my other heavers and started the day. Around 8:30 am my smaller baitfish rod slammed down. i go for it and just as i pick it up and set the hook i see my first heaver double over. Andrew was closest to me, he heard my yell a few choice words and came running over, i set the bait rod back in the spike and grabbed the heaver. Andrew asked if he should clear the other lines and i told him to hold a minute because this critter was going straight out. not hard and fast just strong and steady. Andrew brings in the bait rod and finds a 13 3/4 kingfish. He then clears the other rods just to give some room.

Andrew or general called the judge and as the judge arrived i had told him it might take a while. this critter had taken out all 350 to 400 yards of line i had. i could actually see i had only 2 rows of line left on the spool. general starts to laugh and says oh you got plenty you have been here before. I run down to the water to gain some line back and it worked, now the critter slowed and started to head south. i followed to gain line and told the judge it was either a ray or a large sandtiger. I get it in to the intermediate bar and it comes up to the surface. I see what looked like a ray wing. so now im thinking well if its over 66" i could at least get largest trash fish like last year. then a few minutes later we see it again. Andrew starts yelling its a sandtiger, i am saying its a drum, he insisted its a sandtiger. finally in closer the judge so holy hell and runs for his truck to get the tape and camera. she was definately a bruiser, my pb 51" red drum. est weight between,60-70 lbs. Andrew also got to tag her before we released. so lousy weather, good friends and lots of fishing, i loved every minute of it.

IMG_0384_449x252.jpg.40940fa893ce2a82997

IMG_0395_449x252.jpg.0fe496e1cf639035eea

IMG_0398_449x252.jpg.8d46e03f554c068a211

IMG_0401_449x252.jpg.dbf06ae59ad2081728a

That second pic is crazy! Looks like a blast. :)

OMG!!! my knees hurt soo bad from 5 days of fishing!!!:crybaby2:!!but i wouldnt trade it for the world awsome:fish:

Nice Dave, I like the minute by minute action on you post. " I feel the sand on my sandals" ... lol lol

Great for you... two years. Nice :icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

Great job guys!!!! One of these years work won't be so crazy for me in Sept and I'll participate in this again!