Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g7evans

Blue Fish Rigs

4 posts in this topic

Coming to OC next weekend (staying near the convention center). Thinking of throwing a line in hoping to get into some blues. which rigs would work better..... finger mullet rig or two ball (red and yellow) blue fish rig? if finger mullet which color is working best and with two ball rig what bait might work? (i'm still a novice and am waiting to catch my first ocean blue). Thanks for the help.

I've had my best luck on a red or orange mullet rig and either a red or orange and yellow two ball rig with bunker or mullet chunks. Seems like everytime i use green nothing but smooth-dogs but they are tasty!!! Good Luck this wknd. hope you get into them.

Bill

top bottom rigs with any cut bait will work.

Top and bottom rigs do work well, esp for leaving a rod spiked or unattended.

Mullet rigs seem to work a bit better for me though, only problem is you have to pay attention to the rig and what you are doing. If you don't pay attention you will miss a lot of hookups. Also when using mullet rigs don't set the hook too early, wait for a couple good tugs then give it a little pop. If there are a lot of small blues around don't waste your mullet, they will only end up biting the tails off.

When the small ones are thick, its fun to toss some silver lures / spoons at them.

PS -- for chunking bait on a top and bottom rig bluefish love nothing more than a chuck of another bluefish!