23 posts in this topic

Is there anything that can be done about the skeeters at night on AI?:mad: :mad: :mad: I am comming down this weekend from Friday to Wed morning. Like to do some night fishing for toothies. Is 100% deet the way to go?

Another thing to think about, ESPECIALLY if you have a lady there...

Invest the $70 and buy a screen tent canopy, or whatever they call it. I plan to add it to my "too big of a pile" essentials.

also something we use for bugs are these huge, @24" incense looking things called "punks" ? a friend got them for me up in NY, I believe. they don't smell bad like the citronella(sp) candles, kind of a pleasent smell,for humans:D

I hate to say it,,,even if you put on deet, they may not land on you but you will inhale them with every breath with the wrong breeze,,,they can be that thick,,,I tend to hit the oc beaches at night for sharking,,,pretty much skeeter free,,,definitely like the screen idea tho on AI.

Alright Sam, you are starting to get like Chomper...:D

Got any videos of that suit?

hahahahahahaha

So where can I buy that suit?:lol: :lol: :lol:

In Canada the skeeters come out in droves right about dusk but taper off somewhat after a couple of hours. At AI are they out there all night?

Coop,

Here I thought you all were strickly AI guys. I'm at 125th, think it's worth Charking out there at night?

Beleive it or not, I shark at 123rd st,,,offshore or no breeze at night, I am fishing oc,,,otherwise, I am @ AI.

I'll have to try it out, that's a great solution to my problem of not being able to get away to shark in the evening because of the wife.

Let me see if I got this right. West wind is bad. Anything else is ok as long as it blows a little bit? No wind is bad also.

The worst wind you can get at AI is a west wind.

I'm talking about ONE subject, MOSQUITOS!!!!

It drives them from the interior onto the beach.

I have seen horses run for the water and everything but their nose will be under water.

west wind on AI BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD:( :( :( skeeters and flies and bugs oh my!!!!!!!

West Wind = Good for SHARKIN! :D

Right Critter Gitter? :confused:

Alright Sam, you are starting to get like Chomper...:D

Got any videos of that suit?

hahahahahahaha

Thats My Suit! It works well.....:lol:

.....last July I was fighting what turned out to be a big butterfly Ray. During the fight I could feel the dang skeeters biting me, but afterwards, HOLY COW! I stopped counting after about 75 bites, that was on the left part of my leg, below the knee only. :shock: Those suckers bite through your clothes too and are a complete terror some nights. Never would have guessed that OC was any better. Why do you think that is :?:

Agree with Sam with a good west wind for sharkin,,,can create a slight slick moving away from the beach,,,it's just those dang bugs at night on AI with that wind,,,day ok, other than for the flies, night, be prepared to give blood, large quantities of it,,,I know oc use to spray for skeeters,,,I use to live in caine woods, north oc and heard the plane spraying at the crack of dawn,,,seen trucks fogging the area as well,,,maybe they just packed up their syringes and headed over to AI.

Being a natural-kept island, AI has far more areas of standing, stagnant water. Perfect for needle birds.

I saw the AI skeeter sprayer doing his thing today. West wind almost all day/night with BAD flies during the day. Hardly any skeeters. :-):D

How long does the spray last? How often do they spray? thanks.

I have no idea. I wish they would do it more often, no matter what. :)