whittlinden

Stripes on my fish

4 posts in this topic

Some of the rockfish that I catch are different frome others.The stripes on this fish are not continuous.They are broken up.Would you consider it a hibrid striped bass?????

5852a5aa713c5_IMG_6148(800x600)(2).jpg.2

I've seen hybrids, definitely look different from your regular rock. I don't think yours are hybrid.

No, that's a striper. Hybrids are a stockier bodied fish that have more of a white perch or white bass body profile. They are much more football shaped and the lines are usually pretty faint.

Stripers have a slimmer and longer body profile then a hybrid and the stripes are very dark and pronounced. I've heard that broken lines on a striper are because they have hatchery genes in their DNA. Don't know the validity of that but there sure have been quite a few hatchery fish released in the bay over the decades so I'm sure there is some gene mixing between wild and hatchery stripers.

I've seen similar lineage on other rock mostly on schoolies, I think its a "growing" mark but I see it closer to the tail. That is an odd spot. Don't that diamond Jim thing have a odd strip patern?