g7evans

Surf Rig Storage - Any Ideas?

7 posts in this topic

looking for some ideas to srore my surf rigs. i currently have them in a plastic plano box but the lines/hooks get all tangled up. i have thought of two things...... place them all is separate plastic bags and puting them in the bottom of my 5 gallon bucket......or....... i thought of purchasing a binder to place them in (similar to binders used for plastics worms used for bass fishing. any other ideas that have worked well?

What i do is remove the hook and sinker than wrap the rig it self around 2 or 3 fingers put a twisty-ty around it and put it in the plastic container that electrical tape comes in with a carboard spacer in between every two or three then write on top with magic marker if it is a one or two drop rig and lenth. a couple of these in bottom of bucket or tackle box will hold all you need.Hope this helps it works for me!

Make sure you dry your hooks before storage if you rinse them.

I use baggies (over and over) for each different size (1/0-14/0). I use a piece of cardboard that I pierce with the hook, and then wrap the line around it. Keeps them pretty organized, much better than my old system of just shoving them in the baggy loose. But I also thought about the binder thing. It's just more convenient to shove a couple baggies of different sizes in my lumbar pack, a binder is big, and I 99% of the time don't drive on the beach.

I guess I'm lazy I just tie up new rigs, I save the old hardware but use new hooks.

Make sure you dry your hooks before storage if you rinse them.

Good tip... now i know why all my hooks are rusty...:booty:

BTW... I use the Zip-P bags and keep it on singles, with the sinker off.

how long are your rigs??? you can use a pool noodle and hack it up pretty easily. i use this for spanish and king mack rigs. the worm binder is a great idea, but you have to make sure you 1. rinse rig with fresh water and 2, make dang sure its dry before storage. even if its dry but you didn't rinse with fresh water it will rust.