23 posts in this topic

Since I'm planning on trying this sharking thing casting from shore at the shark get together - I went ahead and ordered some supplies (malin wire, crimping tool, etc) - I also got some hooks.....But I didn't realize how small the Mustad hooks were compared to the same size Owner and Gama's(which are not that far apart)

I got some Mustad 39965D size 12/0 - they're smaller than my Owner 9/0's! Anyone familiar with these hooks and casting for sharks - should I return them and get some 16/0's???? Advice?

Yes they are small,,,size is really dependent on manufacturer,,,a 12 is not the same as a 12 from another manufacturer,,,and even the same manufacturer may differ in size as well even tho they are still calling both hooks twelves, just a different style hook,,,if you plan on using circles, the demon 12's by mustad are pretty large or just get the 16's of the same style hook you bought,,,here is a link to 2 mustad charts,,,one is circle demon variety (must sharpen before use), the other is tuna circle variety.

circle demon

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=49

tuna circle (39965D)

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=1007

ok - cool I'll see if I can get to bass pro and exchange - the style is ok then if I go with 16?

Somebody here has a link to size comparisons by manufacturer, I (oops) didn't bookmark it.

Yeah, it's ok to go to 16/0. I searched on BP for the number you gave and came up blank. Are they circles?

For circles you can open the gap a bit. Some of the folks solely use circles at night because the Sand Tigers are very active and tend to get gut hooked on a J-hook. I use a 12-16/0 J's during the day.

You may want to call BP to see if they have anything that big, I know my "local" one doesn't keep the big stuff in stock. Which one are you going to?

Yes these are circles. I ordered them online. My closest BPS is harrisburg, so that's the one i'd be exchanging at - I guess I'll call first to see what they have...

I think I'll ask what they have in circle hooks that size - if it sounds promising, I'll just go and look in person....really a pain to do online..

You know - in fly fishing, a size 24 is pretty much a 24 and a 18 is pretty much an 18 - needs to be some standard with these circle hooks!

Anyway - thanks for the info - yeah I heard about opening up the gap - plannned on doing that, but first I have to start with a big enough hook :)

I have until July 28th - i'll get my #)$# together by then...

We'll be waiting for you on the 28th!!

steve- i was going to go to the BPS in Anne Arundel ...is that the one you go to- do they have big hooks??

WEll if they dont have the big ones in stock i'll just order them online...let me know

EDITED - cause I completely misunderstood which Steve ben was talking to (DOH!)

That would be the one with steve as an online name... :lol::lol::D

Ben, Arundel Mills generally has crap for hooks. The biggest I have seen there is a Mustad Sea Demon J-hook in 12/0. However, I do use those during the day. In a perfect world, or someplace where you can easily buy them, I would like 16/0 J's and Circles.

Arundel just isn't set up for Charkin. You would have better results going to a B&T near the shore. Of course, you can also buy them online from quite a few places. But ya better know the brands and size differences within the same stated size, they DO vary between manufacturers.

ie, a 12/0 Mustad is not the same size as a 12/0 Eagle Claw or whomever....

yeah everyone always seems to talk about mustad....so i htink i will buy some 16/0 mustad circles off BPS.com

but are stainless the ony way to go???...cause they are a ton more expensive...i think the ones i was planning to get a bunch of were duratin or something

yep the ones I got were the duratin - only i screwed up and ordered the 12/0 instead of the 16/0.

Grrr, forgot to put it in, yes, Duratin is fine.

Ok - UPDATE: I had some time to get to cabelas today (had to replace my baitrunner that got mangled in the car accident....)

So I picked up some hooks - biggest circles I could find were Penn/Eagle Claw Super Chunk 15/0 They seem ok for casting size baits...anyone try these?

they should be fine, only thing is to try and open them just a little.

Put them in a vise and wasn't able to easily open or offset them - these things are strong! Maybe I needed to heat them first? Anway - I made up 10 rigs. Hopefully I won't go through them all....have to check with Bev to see what they have instock in case these hooks don't work and I need emergency replacements :)

if you lose 5 of them you need to borrow someone elses rig or we'll have to start casting in the wash cause that's where the ST's are cruising.

Sometimes I'm think - so you mean to say that I should be safe with 10... And if i lose that many something is really wrong with my setup eh?

Just something about sharks and 17lb test that makes me nervous lol

any fish can be landed on any line provided enough patience, line, and an excellent drag. Baitrunners are pretty good, you should be fine. I wouldn't put anything over the bar, you need enough line to hold off a 150-200 yard run at least.

I just spoiled 300 yards of 40lb test on a alpha reel. You could go to a braid line with heavier test and get more line on your reel.

Charkbait - yep - i figured it'd be a challenge, but a doable challenge - and I'm not planning on putting baits way out - just casting ...

Hoax - i considered braid and was advised to stick with the 17lb as it is cheaper and won't get cut by the sharks swimming around with their mouths open....but i know there are different opinions on it...

just remember to let em run when they want to and "pump em up slowly and reel it down"!

just remember to let em run when they want to and "pump em up slowly and reel it down"!

Bada-BING!

Yep, let 'em take the line, especially if it's light like the 17.

But....

I do believe we'll have a few folks get spooled (or broke off) on the 28th....

Bring spare reels/spools.

Spools: Ones that fit your reel or a store bought spool of fresh line.

Don't have any spare spools, but have spare line. Bringing 1600 yards or so of extra 17lb...