fish-aholic

Avon 20-24 Aug

3 posts in this topic

Ok, so my vacation got cut short by a few days thanks to Irene. The house was about 1/2 mile North of the Avon Pier. We started out with a short trip on Sat night using shrimp on Pomp and Fireball Rigs. We managed one 10" blue and a decent sized spot in the hour or so we fished. Sunday was really a good day. I had one 8' rod double over (pomp rig with shrimp). I grabbed the rod and felt a good head shake. within seconds of grabbing the rod a approx 2' fish launched out of the water, shoot its head and threw the hook....guess I'll never know what it was (couldn't tell in the short glimpse of it). I managed two Banded Rudderfish (thanks everyone for helping me identify them) on a fireball rig with shrimp not long after the lost fish. At dead high tide the fishing turned phenomenal. We started landing Pomps (all handsize, all released), spot, blues and 15" Kingfish (whiting, sea mullet, or whatever your name for them is), all on pomp and fireball rigs baited with squid, shrimp or fleas. Oh yeah, fleas were everywhere, all we had to do was shove our hands in the sand and we'd have bait for the cast. Once the tide started moving out fishing slowed down and we only managed a few more fish for the afternoon. Monday and Tuesday were slow days with catches of more blues, spot, pompano, kingfish and croaker (nothing of any size). Tue night was a shark fishing night. Yakked out whole blues and within 45 minutes had a small blacktip up and on the beach. Once that was released it was non-stop action for about 2 hours with 3 more sharks broke off until we ran out of whole blues. Wed I watched the sunrise from the end of Avon pier, it looked to be a great day, clear water, SSE wind and empty pier. I staked my claim to the north corner of the end of the pier (south corner was already taken) and threw out my anchor line. Myself and the couple other people out there grabbed our gotchas and within 15 min had about 10 blues ranging from 10"-15" in the bait buckets. 2 of which promptly got slid down anchor lines. Blues were on and off all day, menhaden made a strong showing around the pier in the morning, enough to snag a few and close enough to throw a cast net on. Only thing caught on the pins were blues on the menhaden (despite perfect looking conditions). Near the end of the day frigate mackerel were showing up in large numbers followed by the blues to finish up the day. I pulled up my anchor just after 7pm to head back and pack up so we could do the mandatory evacuation early and beat the traffic jams. Not sure if he's on here, but want to give a thanks to John for keeping me company at the end of the pier most of the day and correcting my "braining action" when hooking the live bait!!!

20110820252520180752-1.jpg

20110823252520102315-1.jpg

20110823252520111328-1.jpg

20110824252520074713-1.jpg

IMGP0025JPG-1.jpg

Sounds like you had fun, even if you had to leave early. Thanks for the report.