13 posts in this topic

I decided to start a compost pile about a month or so ago.

Plenty of advantages to having one, indeed!

Not only does my kitchen garbage not smell bad and have to be dumped all the time, but there's an added bonus.

The HUGE earthworms are all over the place. I go to turn the pile and I always see lots of fat juicy worms.

I know plenty of big catfish and others that would love to dine on them....

I stand there and look at the pile and worms while my neighbor (city-born female) goes "Oh how gross!".

Man, she just doesn't understand....

It's boo-tiful man, boo-tiful!

(oh yeah, guess it's a "guy thing", eh?)

Ok, I'm done, lemme' go feed my worms....

I have very fond memories of hunting night crawlers with my grand father, he had a section of his backyard all set up for them.

Nightcrawlers are a different species, they're bigger. We used to stick a couple electrified spikes in the wet ground and watch 'em wiggle up to the surface Easy bait!

He used to do that... take a 12volt battery with a couple of leads on some landscaping spikes and stick them in the nightcrawler bed..... :D :D bringing back some very fond memories, wish he was still around he would have loved surf fishing. and he wouldn't be able to tie my rod to the railing with his neckerchief:lol:

That's EXACTLY how it was with me, granddaddy....

Ok, then YOU be that Grandfather to a kid, ok?

Love 'em and teach 'em!

I wish I could, maybe I will be...

I just started seeing this woman with 2 kids whose father wouldn't know a fishing rod if you beat him with it and...... well not the outdoor kind of dad. So she is all excited for me to take her kids fishing and teach them how. I even bought them their own rods and reels already, and they aren't even coming till the end of July. I can't wait.

Hey! Perfect!!!

You bringing them to our Summer Fest????

Nice! It'll do ya good to teach some kids.

OCSnapper will be proud of ya!

(and so will we!)

Just remember which end is the sharp end, ok? :lol:

don't think they are gonna make it for the big meet but shortly after.....can't wait

Man when I was a kid thats the same way we got our worms alot more fun then buying them :D .. also made ya stay up late and not get in any trouble with mom then again she would have to pull them out of my pockets for some reason I would put worms in my pants pockets.. hey I was young then.:roll:

what do you mean you still don't????? I find bait in all sorts of places especially when I fish off of the bridge, and I saw a thread not to long ago where Sam leaves bait in his Jeep.

DOHHH! You mean somebody aside from me has found "dried" bait in Sam's ride? hahahahahaha

Anyway, yeah, wormies....

Seems like everybody's grampop showed them the shocking way to get bait....

I wish I were still a kid to enjoy it again...

But a compost pile, that's the way to go.

(am I posting this in the right thread? hmmm...)

My favorite part about compost piles are the volunteers that sprout. So far I have picked some cilantro, cukes, zuchinni, tomatoes, potatoes, dill, and lots of squash and pumpkins. They can be transplanted to other spots of the garden, and get a great nutrient rich head start from the compost. The worms are everywhere on the ground at night when moist. Dont need to mess with the compost to get them. Red light switch on my head lamp, and im in for some fat freshwater bait. :cool:

You are right about the off-shoots. I have some squash, dunno' which one 'cuz I eat many different ones. Problem is, I already ran outta' room in the veg garden and gonna' hafta make another one...

Herbs are in another garden.