Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billf57

Delaware Surf Report for August 2011

15 posts in this topic

Didn't see an August Report, so I figured I'll start one.

Personally, I haven't done much catching this summer other than a few large rays in July, but today things changed and snagged my first little blue of the season. They are quick little guys on the bait so you need to stay on top of them.

Thanks for the report billf. At least you've been getting out. Been too dang hot for me to even think about it.

Getting into those snappers can be a lot of fun and turn an otherwise slow day into a frantic one for awhile.

Another slow day on the surf. 1 skate. Crabs were a problem today stealing your bait. Tomorrow get to try a new spot and keep the post going. Weather was fantastic not too hot and just enough of a ocean breeze to keep it comfortable.

Another slow day on the surf. 1 skate. Crabs were a problem today stealing your bait. Tomorrow get to try a new spot and keep the post going. Weather was fantastic not too hot and just enough of a ocean breeze to keep it comfortable.

Try using some floats to keep your bait suspended in the water. It helps keep the crabs off the bait.

I do use floats to keep it off the bottom but they still seem to get to it. Today wasn't much better 3 skates. Tomorrow calling for rain so probably won't get out til monday.

I saw something i'd never seen before on Friday at CHSP. I was taking a break from catching the snapper blues and went for a walk down the beach. I see a rod flying across the sand being pulled into the water and a guy with a beer can in his hand chasing it. I thought he must have had a huge ray but then about 10 to 15 yards off the beach I see a dolphin jump out of the water. It had taken his bait. It jumped a couple more times then the line snapped before this guy could even pick his rod up. Incredible.

The snapper blues were hot. Pulling them out one after the other on mullet rigs and top and bottom rigs.

Sunday the snapper blues were hot and heavy as Ed stated mullet rigs or t&b rigs were getting it done at 3R's. Today were going back over the IR and see what we can come up with.

Snapper blues were back in the surf on Tuesday but then the rain came in and spoiled a good afternoon at the beach. I believe today was dismal due to yesterdays rains. I was only catching skates when I went to bottom fishing. When we first hit the beach this morning the dolphins were circling in close trapping in the bait fish, then later about 300 yards off the beach we could see something jumping that appeared to be about 4' - 5' in length and jump out of the water at least 3' - 4'. They had white bellies but I have no clue what they were.</SPAN>

Past couple of days have been slow with only bottom fishing catching anything .. skates. The weather has been tough w/ late afternoon showers almost everyday.

I do use floats to keep it off the bottom but they still seem to get to it. Today wasn't much better 3 skates. Tomorrow calling for rain so probably won't get out til monday.

I use them too but I think the crabs use them for desert!!

Hulk

Anyone gotten out recently? I'm headed to the beach tomorrow. How are the conditions?

Nothing but the little snapper blues. You could catch them all day but I didn't get anything over a foot long. Anyone else have better luck?

What are you using for bait?

Blues love finger mullet...

Yeah, I was using finger mullet on mullet rigs. They are definitely there in numbers. I just didn't have the luck to pull any in of decent size.