Dave

august fishing reports 2011

69 posts in this topic

Well, the summer fishing is in full swing, plenty of spot, kings, rays and shark in the surf right now. The route 50 bridge into ocean city has been producing flounder and blues with a few rock at night. Post your reports here fish or no fish. Be safe and most of all have fun.

Tonight, one small dusky, half dozen spot and a cusk eel. Plenty of baitfish in the break on outgoing tide. Spot, kings and little minnows can all be seen in ankle deep water. Had lots of fun catching the minnows with your bare hands. Really let's u feel like one with nature.

ya awsom fun. tonight i had two hard take downs both no takers the first one was odd i gess i had sk8 on the hook cuz when i grabed the run felt lots of weight but then it felt like it got off reeled it in and thers a sk8 BUT he had been bit by a shark nothing missing but some guts wher hanging out the last one was a good hard take down but the line snaped

Tonight, one small dusky, half dozen spot and a cusk eel. Plenty of baitfish in the break on outgoing tide. Spot, kings and little minnows can all be seen in ankle deep water. Had lots of fun catching the minnows with your bare hands. Really let's u feel like one with nature.

Never seen an eel taken from the surf in the states. How big was it?

They are about 8" average.

Andrew, used we did a mercy kill in the skate due to the guts hanging out, used it for bait tonight with only one hit but no takedowns, caught a dozen spot and a ray i haven't seen before, it was a bronze color with pointed wings and huge eyes. I will post a pic when I get a sec.

Jon did you get any pics of the skate?

sorry andrew no pics i thought about it but naver got a cam the tooth spacing looked like sandtiger probable no more then 5ft max not too deep but about an inch between punckters wounds

here is a pic of the ray i caught the other night, can someone help identify this thing, it kinda looks like a bat ray, but i know those are only common in the pacific, it is positively not a cownose ray i have caught those many times.

DSC04361_480x360.jpg.22e3981500f857efc1b

Yep, its a bullnose. Funny thing is it says they eat crabs, well I caught it on spot.

Looks like a cownose ray to me. I guess that is the same as a bullnose? :icon_scratch:

Sam, it for sure it wasn't a cownose ray, it didn't have the openings in the front . The nose portion was very rounded but no air openings. The openings were on the side of the head. The eyes were huge. Plus the pic doesn't due it justice the color was very similar to a red drum. Bronze/red not your typical brown. Very cool looking. Really no fight to it at all.

All the Cownose rays I have seen are flat on the front of the head,not pointy,with big cowlike nostrils.Hence the name.....

Tough going flounder fishing right now. Plenty of fish just not many keepers. Usual spots around the 50 bridge in OC all fished out. Plenty of 16- 17 inchers but still fun to catch.

dave i wouldnt say the nose was "rounded" but pointed,hard,tranlusint like a sk8 "BUT ITS NOT A SK8" lol

thanks jkeil for the report. thats what i found last week up there, lots of small flounder.

Yeah, that is a big difference. Thanks for the info.

Finally braved the heat and spent some time on the beach at assateague (MD) fishing today.

croakers were everywhere today. Had fish on as soon as bait hit the water.

I used fishbites bloodworms, but as thick as they were they would have hit anything.

Didn't see anything other than croaker, I was trying for some kingfish, but too many croakers around.

I did get out in the boat yesterday and was amazed to see 20-30 porpoise in the West Channel early about 08:30. Did one long drift and cought one sea robin. Boat ran great... Can't complain! Was back to the ramp @ 11:45 and home 15 minutes later before it got too crowded & too hot on the bay.

i'm going down oc in a week and a half. can't wait to get a line in the water. i'm not sure if i'm going to bother with sharks but i definately want to do some small fishing. does anyone know if the croakers/spot/kingfish fishing is as good around mid oc as it is on assateague??

also what are the license requirements about fishing on the beach?? all of that terribly confuses me thanks