Coastal Kayaker

Stingray body dump

11 posts in this topic

I decided to take my kayak out to the Great Egging Island (just west of the Assateague Island National Park) today, water was choppy, couldn't see bottom in 4 ft of water. I almost always see rays out there when I'm drifting around the island but I didn't see any today, not live anyhow. As I paddled along the shoreline I saw a white shape from about 30 yards away, it had a 3 ft wingspan and was belly up just about eight feet from the shore. Drifting closer, I counted 6 or 7 more bodies piled up about 10-15 ft further out. It looks like someone was out bow fishing last night, had their fun, then decided to dump the corpses along the shoreline where dozens of families go kayaking/canoeing every day.

Getting ready to leave, about 100 yards further down along the shoreline I found what looks like half a dozen diamondback terrapin shells. It seems that crabbers are dumping their unwanted catches there as well.

Rays.jpg.476136578f9a74d315a1b01bef8c119

Terps.jpg.045ceb7ec3605610d824f0242224ba

i decided to take my kayak out to the great egging island (just west of the assateague island national park) today, water was choppy, couldn't see bottom in 4 ft of water. I almost always see rays out there when i'm drifting around the island but i didn't see any today, not live anyhow. As i paddled along the shoreline i saw a white shape from about 30 yards away, it had a 3 ft wingspan and was belly up just about eight feet from the shore. Drifting closer, i counted 6 or 7 more bodies piled up about 10-15 ft further out. It looks like someone was out bow fishing last night, had their fun, then decided to dump the corpses along the shoreline where dozens of families go kayaking/canoeing every day.

Getting ready to leave, about 100 yards further down along the shoreline i found what looks like half a dozen diamondback terrapin shells. It seems that crabbers are dumping their unwanted catches there as well.

[attach=config]10553[/attach]

[attach=config]10554[/attach]

that's realy sad.......

Bad bad !!! One bad apple put the rest in bad shape. :(

*** Probable this in the general public eye was " done by fishermans " and I know 95% sure this was NOT done by a good angler. but someone did it... if this was done by someone fishing... it is just a "bad apple"...

-we should respect all creatures -

Bad bad !!! One bad apple put the rest in bad shape. :(

Sums it up. Not good.

Some people have no respect for anything.

what a horable thing thoes peple have done

the other night i HAD to put a sk8 out of its pain, it was on my hook when it was atacked by a shark when i brought it in it was tore up, some guts hanging out, ect. but it up set me to "put him out of hie mizery". i have even heard of fishermen cuting off ruffback (rufftail) ray tails as to not get stung wich is extremley excesivs and unnesisary but understandable i have eve seen rays missing tails thoes of you who have fished with me know i am all about fish safty and stupie people who do dumb things like that upset me vary much!:angry8::angry4::icon_rambo:

that should be reported to DNR.

It was reported to the Park Service although there isn't much that they can do unless you catch the person in the act of poaching.

I'm guessing that by now the crabs out there have cleaned the corpses pretty well, hopefully the rotting fish smell goes away soon.

It was reported to the Park Service although there isn't much that they can do unless you catch the person in the act of poaching.

I'm guessing that by now the crabs out there have cleaned the corpses pretty well, hopefully the rotting fish smell goes away soon.

i agree, but still a good idea to let them know what is taking place.

I caught a ray the other day that was missing a tail. I'd have some serious words for anyone I caught doing that.