greenmtnman

Ocracoke, NC Report- Pictures!

7 posts in this topic

We spent 9 days in Ocracoke, <acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym> this last week. It was an unbelievable trip. We had such a great time, and caught many fish between the 6 of us. Monday: 32 fish, Tuesday 28, Wednesday 16. The wife wanted to take Thursday off so we did, and the friend with the boat left, but on Friday we caught another 3 fish from the surf. No luck saturday, lots of nibbles but no takers- and the crabs were so thick we couldn't keep bait in the water.

We had the best luck in my sisters, boyfriends boat. The luck from the surf wasn't as great this year- but I did catch 1 citation sea mullet- the biggest one I've ever seen! I thought it was a drum even after it was in my hands. Also caught my heaviest ray: at nearly 40lbs it was a b#$ch to get it out of the surf on my gear. We got sick of catching them. Wife did catch a keeper flounder as well. Lots of black tip sharks in the water- I saw 2 while fishing in the surf, and saw a good size ??? shark (5ft+) in the shallows of the bay.

We caught about 15 flounder over 12", all on light action rods in the sound. No keepers though, although 3 came just short at about 14". Some small snapper blues. Lost 5 spanish to aerial acrobatics and bit off leaders.

Lost a very large ??? on a rapala while trolling in my kayak. Hardest head shakes I've ever felt.

But on Monday, using a cut piece of pin fish my wife caught a 22" Drum on a 6', 10lb class bass rod. Her first keeper drum.

And on Tuesday, I caught my first over-the-limit drum- 28" and 7.5lbs+. The greatest part: I caught it wading in thigh deep water, on a cabelas mag-touch light action rod, using 6lb flourocarbon line and no leader!!! I was using a fake rubber lobster lure, and casting it to the drop off of portsmouth island, and popping it off the bottom. Took nearly 20min to get it in to where I could net it!

It was a great trip and we learned A LOT to take with us next year.

Tips: fake shrimps- H&H, DOA, Gulp seem to be the hot artificials, with white and natural (green/white) being the best. I would use a small jig head or no weight (preferred) We had good luck with shrimp, poor luck with squid and mullet. We heard a lot about using sand fleas (mole crabs) in the surf and tried that a lot but only got the mullet, lost 2 small ?. Seems like best place in the bay was right up in the channel next to portsmouth island- drift along it and cast towards the edge where the drop is. We had no luck (and didn't see too many caught) with trolling for mack's with spoons. Best surf sport seemed to be about 2.5 miles north of pony pens, next to a small sectioned off area for sea turtles. We didn't spend enough time surf fishing to really give a good report on the best baits and spots (probably only spent 15hrs total the whole 9 days- about 1/4 of what we normally do)

223768_10150751544865657_739180656_20120

268838_10150740810995657_739180656_19978

269642_10150740809505657_739180656_19978

281962_10150743163370657_739180656_20011

285137_10150741925900657_739180656_19994

I also wanted to add something very important to me: all fish were released unharmed, to fight another day.

Looks like a great vacation greenmtnman.Thanks for releasing.Cool photos too.That's the right boat for that area with a flat bottom.Thanks for a very good post......

It was really great. Lots of fishing- but lots of hanging out- boccie ball, cribbage, and boogie boarding- the usual. Glad you enjoyed the pics!

It was really great. Lots of fishing- but lots of hanging out- boccie ball, cribbage, and boogie boarding- the usual. Glad you enjoyed the pics!
Sounds like a lot of fun along with the fishing.I dont see any spots on the tail end of those reds.I have never caught one without spots,but I have heard some dont have any......

Sounds like a lot of fun along with the fishing.I dont see any spots on the tail end of those reds.I have never caught one without spots,but I have heard some dont have any......

I know right! What are the chances of catching TWO without spots!!!! Crazy! I really like how on my fish the tail is that nice blue color they can get in the summer. They really are a pretty fish.