Andrew K

is this guy serious???.....air powered bait cannon.....

13 posts in this topic

I've seen that before. You're supposed to freeze the bait in these molds so that it makes a plug that fits in the barrel and then it can be fired. The bait thaws and then I guess you're in business. Some of those claim to be able to launch up to 400 yards.

Lol. I bet that'll cause one heck of a backlash on any baitcaster.

IMHO what a lazy fishermen !!!!! " oh i dont want to read the beach, oh i dont want to learn how to cast, i dont want to do any work " what a jerk you dont need that junk!:confused3:

I have been next to these guys a couple times this year. I have also read that it can shoot up to 300 yards (was just in the paper) and I can assure you they were no where near 300 yard. I would estimate 200 yards max, but enough to get over the bar and into good sharkin territory.

They did manage a big sandbar one day...they use spinning gear. I see nothing wrong with it...its just another way to fish...there are a million ways to do things and to each his own.

i dont see anything wrong with it either, the idea, the concept is great. im amused because hes been fishing for 10 years and never caught anything over 20lbs in the surf???

I have been next to these guys a couple times this year. I have also read that it can shoot up to 300 yards (was just in the paper) and I can assure you they were no where near 300 yard. I would estimate 200 yards max, but enough to get over the bar and into good sharkin territory.

They did manage a big sandbar one day...they use spinning gear. I see nothing wrong with it...its just another way to fish...there are a million ways to do things and to each his own.

I see nothing wrong with it either.Seem to always wish you could get it out a little farther fishing the surf.People have been shootng bait for years.Carp fisherman use slingshots to bait the area were they are casting to....

I made something like this years ago out of a modified spud gun.

IMHO what a lazy fishermen !!!!! " oh i dont want to read the beach, oh i dont want to learn how to cast, i dont want to do any work " what a jerk you dont need that junk!:confused3:

I gotta agree with the general. Seems lazy, and defeats the point for me. Casting is at least 50% of the challenge, and at least 50% of the joy of fishing (especially surf fishing) for me. I like having the challenge of trying to get my lure or bait inches from my ideal location, and of doing it over and over- it's a skill that's almost as fun as catching.

analogy: I mean yeah, it's fun for some to hunt dear with a 7mm rifle from over a mile away. But I personally enjoy, and find it more sporting, hunting dear with either a bow or a 12g shotty- I want to be able to hear the animal breathing, and have it walk right up to me....and still have the risk of not getting the shot.

I also like to fish with 4lb test line 99% of the time when not surf fishing, so maybe it's just about what you find most enjoyable- my friend I fish with uses 14lb test and he does have an easier time getting the fish in hand.

yeah they can shoot their baits farther and hypothetically they'll catch more larger fish (hypothetically). But the couple I do catch seem like they're worth more, if anyone gets what I'm trying to say.

wow should have put a rant alert on this post hahaha

if i may greenmtnman i beleave your truing to say you enjoy the thrill of the hunt the true sporting side of life and with the defeet only makes victory that much sweeter and i couldent agree more

Casting is hardly the challenge of catching large fish from the surf. Yes, it is important to get your bait where you think it should be. However, try landing a large bull red or 6' spinner shark and then you will have a challenge. :icon_pirat:

i agree with Sam; iv'e caught a 49" red and several shark not as large as alot of you have landed but still a thrill for me. and most have been on one of my shorter cast rods, just when you think you have them figuered out they hit a bait in the first trough.Everything you read in alot of sites if you can't cast over a 125 yd.s is a wast of time.NOT TRUE!! it's what you do after you set the steel!! that puts them on the beach.So go have some fun!!!

i completley agre with you rattletrap but sam doesnt knowing ware to place bait fall under knowing how to cast? well i see it that way not to say im some grate casting guru or somting i still have a lot to learn about fishing as a hole