Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Finaddict

Is Ignorance Bliss?

2 posts in this topic

Is ignorance “bliss”? You decide.

<o:p> </o:p>

Ignorance: the state of being ignorant, lack of knowledge, information, or awareness.

Ignorant: Having no learning or education. Lacking awareness: with of ignorant of the facts. Uninformed: inexperienced: with in.

Ignore: To refuse to notice or recognize: disreguard. To reject for insufficient evidence.

Bliss: Gladness; joy. A cause of delight or happiness.

For many, many years now there has been a groups of people trying to defend our fishing rights. At times they get a bad wrap, more times than not. I am speaking as an angler and no part of any organization, defending your rights.

I can tell you that no one, that has been on this site for a while, is “ignorant”, of our struggle to keep our beaches open for access, from the onslaught of environmental groups trying to shut us down. I do know that people chose to “ignore” the warning signs. The denial that says “this can’t happen to us” has already happened. Once in the OBX and at present, on <st1:place w:st="on">Assateague Island</st1:place>. Now, “the foot in the door” in the OBX has spilled over to everyone else’s plate and continues to gain momentum. These organizations fighting for your rights are struggling to continue to beat back these infringements of our “god given rights”. Yet, we choose to ignore them. They have been there all along fighting for your rights.

Enjoy your “bliss” while you can, if you choose to “ignore” the facts. Do not claim “ignorance” when these groups are constantly posting pertinent information about potential access or closure issue. I choose not to ignore and fight for my bliss. I believe in “power in numbers”, and those numbers are declining. At the same time the environmental closures continue to gain ground.

What Politician in their right mind would yield to a smaller and declining group going into an election, or re-election. WE ARE PAYING THE PRICE RIGHT NOW WITH OUR NATIONS LEADERS. The current Administration now has to make good on all the campaign contributions from a few years ago. Go back and see how many past Administrations made “sweeping” and controversial changes before going out of office. Not that I am making a prediction, but the facts do not lie.

I can tell you that these organizations need as much help as possible. They are getting burnt out defending your rights year after year, with the same people, or in declining numbers. People do not understand what it truly takes, it is a calling for some. It is not easy for them being in the middle of “closure battles”, trying to explain to the public and getting bashed for doing what is right. Maybe that is the reason why, no one likes to get bashed.

Anyway, my rant is over. I have posted information about this issue in the past, knowing it was coming. Therefore, you cannot say you were ignorant to the fact. The following is an article that was forwarded to me by a dedicated access fighter, for decades, up and down the east coast. Some might say, the battle has already been lost. To those people I say, the envirowhackos will not be happy until ALL OSV’s are denied access to our beaches. I say, it is still on and they may have won battles, but there are many battles in a WAR. It isn’t over by far, but these organizations need your help.

I can tell you that some organizations are restructuring so they can have political lobbyists to better have your voice heard. I can’t say much more than that right now, other than they could use YOUR help.

Red knot on track to protection<o:p></o:p>

A local and global symbol of threatened habitats and species could begin gaining endangered federal protection within a year as the US Fish and Wildlife Service steps up reviews of endangered species candidates.

Environmental groups said the acceleration comes as the red knot shorebird appears to be under worsening threat, partly because of pressure on the horseshoe crab, a creature that spawns in the bay & whose eggs provide a migratory food source during springtime shorebird stopovers along the <st1:place w:st="on">Delaware Bay</st1:place>.

One recent study of the tiny, long-beaked red knot’s main wintering population in <st1:place w:st="on">South America</st1:place> found that its numbers had fallen by about one-third, or 5,000 birds, compared with the year before.

“To the extent that we’re going to get to all the species on the candidate list, I think you could accurately say we’re going to be able to make a listing for that species,” said Chris Tollefson, a spokesman for the US Fish and Wildlife Service. “I think it’s fair to say, from what I understand that it will happen within the next year.”

Agency officials plan to extend protections to western subspecies of the bird in the coming year, followed by their eastern cousins.

The American Bird Conservancy, New Jersey Audubon Society, Delaware Riverkeeper and other groups applauded the comments.

“We are pleased the Fish and Wildlife Service has recognized the urgency to begin listing the red knot, “said Caroline Kennedy senior field conservation director for Defenders of Wildlife.

“The knot has been languishing on the list of candidate species since 2006. This year’s huge decline in wintering red knots provides clear evidence that the status quo is not working. Unless action is taken now, red knots may be on an irreversible slide to extinction.

Fish and Wildlife agreed to speed up action on endangered species candidates under a settlement with the environmental group Wild Earth Guardians.

“I think it’s going to bring new protection measures for the red knot and horseshoe crab and their habitats,” said Tim Dillingham, American Littoral Society director.

Other groups have predicted that the wave of endangered species findings could have far reaching effects, including increased pressure on the Environmental Protection Agency to step up its own pollution control and conservation requirements.

Red knots and several other migratory birds depend on ample supplies of horseshoe crab eggs to sustain them through long migrations, including stretching from South America and the <st1:place w:st="on">Arctic</st1:place>.

Although some states, including <st1:State w:st="on">Delaware</st1:State> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">New Jersey</st1:State></st1:place>, have stepped up controls on crab harvesting, researchers have said that crab numbers have yet to recover.

Jeff Montgomery

The News Journal

The Daily Times (not sure of date, but recently)

Have a “blissful” day,

Morty

Thanks for the posting Fin. Hopefully people will see the foot in the door before it is too late and join the groups and organizations that are fighting the battle for all.