6 posts in this topic

Being I live here now, I usually take my vacations up to lake erie, Pa to do some

northern pike and walleye fishing, I went in early june and I feel I wasted my time not one walleye of pike although quite a few largemouth. Does anyone know why the walleye are so bad this year? Thanks I am thinking about going back up in August to try my luck again, but if I here it will be a waste of time I wont bother. thanks.

Last time I was at Lake Erie, I was horrified to notice that there was no life anywhere. No bugs, No birds, and NO FISH, That was 12 years ago and I hope they have cleaned it up, but I thought that lake was pretty much dead.:mad:

I played a gig around 3 years ago in Put-In-Bay, Ohio. This town is on south bass island in lake erie) - while I was there I (of course) did a little fishing and was amazed at the number and size of the smallmouths - HUGE! Maybe there are dead zones near PA, but definitely alive and kicking near Put-in-bay!

It hasnt always been dead, they have done a great job cleaning up the lake just the past year has not produced any good game fish. Or i am just picking the wrong days to go. anyway I am going to try again in August if I can peel myself away from AI, since I started surf fishing I cant get enough of it. I still love bringing in a walleye or northern pike it just like catching small shark.

There are many things that can contribute to a lousy fishing trip... What was the weather like previous to your trip, Do you know for a fact that the area you were fishing holds walleye? How long after the spawn were you there? Walleye become very inactive and difficult to catch after the spawn. Were you marking fish on the fish-finder? Were people around you catching fish and you weren't? I make it a habit to visit the local bait and tackle shops when I fish someplace to find out how everyone else is doing. Could've been a weather trend that just put the fish in a slump, or it could've been the location.

The areas I go to have produced well in the past, I know walleye very well. When I lived in Pittsburgh I would go to lake Erie all the time. I have heard rumor that a new marina has accidentally polluted the area by using a pesticide to kill of algae in the slips, but last year was unusually hot there and I know the weather killed off a lot of walleye last year. Everyone I have talked to in the area has said it has been really bad this year, even during spawning. Anyway I am not gonna lose sleep over it just contimplating going back up this year, kinda enjoying the surf fishing right now.