greenmtnman

Crimping Results

6 posts in this topic

I've heard a lot about crimping vs. knots and I'd just thought I'd share.

I've just started using a handheld mustad crimper and 80# and 150# test for basic surf fish finder rigs.

I *think* this is going to work great and will give a full report after my trip to Ocracoke, NC next week.

Here was my strength test-

Since my reel can only do 25# of drag and I have 40# powerpro as my main running line, I decided to simply test 40# of weight. I took a tool box and filled it with 3 10# dumb bells and 2 5# ankle weights. I then hooked the 6/0 and 8/0 hooks (80# and 150# rigs, respectively) around the handle (each individually) and used vice grips to hold the swivel on the other side. I then bounced it some to give it a little dynamic force through the crimp.

downsized_Image07112011201959.jpg.2b9ad5

This was the result with the 6/0 hooks. I'm happy.

I'd say that worked out pretty well.

I am pretty sold on the crimping

I use lots of crimps in my rigs and have not had any failures. I suck at tying most knots so crimping is my fallback.

i would be most interasted in seeing the same test with knots i personaly snell my hooks and use no less then a 100lbs swivel between my hook/bite rig and my 50lbs shock leader (this is my strip/drumm set up not shark) i use a standard " fishermens" knot with 5 to 10 twists and then slide the "tag-end" back thru one of the twists but thats just me

Crimps work fine,I use them offshore some times.As long as you match the proper size crimp with the line you using....I tie knots to allow winding them thru the rod tip guides to get fish closer to me for gaffing when there is no help.....