Finaddict

Delaware Surf Report July 2011

9 posts in this topic

Well the reports are the same as last month, pan fish out of the surf is off the hook. Still a few nice Stripers out of the suds. T&B rigs are working the best. Fish tight to the beach and you'll find them.

Shark fishing in Delaware, well mind your P & Q's out there and use your heads.

Feel free to post your reports here and best of luck.

Hi Finaddict,

I notice often that people say they are catching Stripers in the surf. I have been fishing the <acronym title="Delaware"><acronym title="Delaware">DE</acronym></acronym> surf for a long time down at Fenwick Island and never seen anyone pull in a striper. Is this due to location? Is there an ideal location/time/bait/rig to catch these guys? Down were I fish I usually get spot, blue, kingfish, occasional flounder, and shark. Also what exactly is a T&B rig?

Thanks!

JK,

This time of year you will get pan fish. There is a few Stripers being landed, but it is the right place at the right time kinda thing. Spring and fall is better for Stripers. T&B is top and bottom rig, these are the rigs I use for smaller fish. I have landed Stripers on smaller rigs like this, right place right time.

I know there is alot of Stripers landed in Fenwick during the spring and fall. It is not you, just the time of year. As far as bait, use what is in the water that the Stripers are chasing.

Hope you stick a few.

Destiny and I headed out and smoked the Spot and Kingies. Great weather and superb fishing.

Thanks Finaddict! Good advice. I usually make it down more in the summer but not so much the spring and fall. I will have to try harder at this.

I was out Sat and Sun. Caught a bunch of spot, a few king fish, and 2 skate.

There were also numerous schools of fish swimming South along the shore. I kayak out to them to try to see what they were but couldn't make them out. All I could see is that they had a small yellow fin sticking up above the water. The schools were enormous with probably thousands of fish in each. Anything big after these guys? Dolphin?

It is hard to tell, I am sure something stalks it from time to time. Not sure what it could be unless it is Spot. Heck, who doesn't like Spot?:booty:

Fished in the suds all day on the 11th at Henlopen. Didn't get a thing. Couldn't even say I had a strike. Wrong place and time?

Also fished Henlopen this past saturday....we had 4 guys with roughly 12 rods and 7 types of bait. Different setups, distances... NOTHING.....nadda...the crabs seemed to be the only thing eating all day.

Does it get any better later in the year? Is there a more productive place surf fish? There were a few people there faking to fish so they could be on the beach with their 4 wd vehicles. Not as full as conquest last year.