whittlinden

Chesapeake light tower

6 posts in this topic

Decided to try the light tower last tuesday,seas looked calm enough at the time for my 22 seafarer.all was fine caught flounder on the first two drifts,not real big,but legal size in virginia (17.5").waves started to build a little,so i thought i would get closer to shore,and stopped on a couple numbers i had stored in my gps,and caught and released a few more flounder.back at the <acronym title="Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel">cbbt</acronym>,all looked fine for about 10 minutes,when black clouds arrived.tried to outrun the storm to get to kiptopeake ramp,but it caught me.pretty scary for about 20 min. But i survived,thunder,lightning,rain,and hail.

5852a5a185e79_KIGHTTOWER035(800x533)(2).

5852a5a18f4ad_KIGHTTOWER019(800x533).jpg

5852a5a19a5ae_KIGHTTOWER050(800x433).jpg

5852a5a1a5203_KIGHTTOWER076(800x533).jpg

Ouch!

Looks a little sporty out there.

In an open boat, put the antenna and rods down before the storm hits you.

Be sure NOT to grab a graphite rod when there is electrical activity around.

If you get any tingling (shocks) when casting, it means the activity is about to include you.

Run north or south to get around it.

That nasty weather was not out at the tower,It was inside of the bay bridge tunnel.I was in my 22 Grady white walk around with hardtop and enclosure. I didn't get wet,just blown around.Came up all the sudden,tried to outrun it ,but it caught me.20 minutes,It was all over........And yeah,It was plenty of electrical activity going on.Thanks for you concern Steve....Radar would have been nice.....

Looks like a pretty awesome place to fish. Can't wait until I have the money for a salty boat.

Thanks greenmtnman, i usually have room for one more,and welcome forum members to join me.443-603-7601.