Dave

ATTENTION maryland sharkers

11 posts in this topic

I am nto trying to cause an uproar, because i know for the most part the members of this site that target shark either ask questions or are responsible fisherman. I witnessed some idiotic kids sharking only to impress their friends yesterday and they got a lot of unwanted attention, negative attention. I have spoken with the <acronym title="Assateague Island">ai</acronym> park rangers and they all know shark are targeted out there. As of know they said that most fisherman on <acronym title="Assateague Island">ai</acronym> are very respectful and do not have much issue with shark washing ashore. But after what i witnessed yesterday i am highly disturbed. The kids that decided to shark fish set up within 40 yards of a family of swimmers. i talked to the family and advised them of what the kids were doing and told them it would be in their best interest to stay outta the water after dark. The father was very appreciative and actually said it would be nice to say a ray or something brought up on shore. I was out targeting weakies to stock up for the rest of the week.

Anyway, the kids down from the family never once paid any mind to the bait they had yakked out and started doing a taxi service bringing all their friends out, then they started doing donuts on the beach, at this point i tried to call the rangers but got no answer. a little while later another truck come out to join them, here this truck was a dually which is illegal on the beach, the dually parked perpendicular to the dune line blocking all traffic coming and going up and down the beach. i again attempted to call the rangers and again no answer. i plan on stopping this evening to bring this up to them and ask why were they not out patrolling when the beach was packed up until midnight. so around 11pm i hear a scream come from there area. needless to say the truck fired up spun around and started spotlighting the water. a group of say 10 kids all screaming and yelling for say 20 minutes until i can see them drag a 7 to 8 ft sandtiger up above the high tide line. i started my clock to see how long until they released it. i watched as they sat on it taking pics, at least two dozen pics each person taking their turn. finally 18 minutes had passed before they started to drag it into the water. another 4-5 minutes past while these kids let the shark get beat up in the surf because they were to scared to take it out to revive it. anyway after 25 minutes the shark dissapeared. the kids hurridly packed up and then left the beach. i watched the water for another half hour to make sure the sand tiger did not wash back up but i can almost gaurantee itll be a miracle if that shark did not wash up today down the beach.

all it takes is a few morons to ruin what us sharkers enjoy. For those of you that dont know who i am I tag shark for noaa, i respect shark for the beautiful fish that they are and will not tolerate such ignorance. I hope if anyone else sees this crap going on to call the ranger station to inform them of what is going on. All shark i catch are tagged, measured sexed, and photgrapghed for research purposes. i do not condone in "hero Pics" limit the amount of time the shark is outta water. In fact my teammates and i have just recently started removing hooks, measuring and such with the shark still in about ankle deep water to keep it breathing and help support its weight. it is really dangerous but i am comfortable enough with my team and my knowledge that it is pretty uneventful. lets keep what we enjoy and help ensure the survival of these beautiful creatures. use your heads out there. thank you.

Seems like you did all you could. Props to you for keeping a cool head when that was going on.

That's right,dont even dragg them up on the beach.photos can be taken in the shallow.......

Sorry to hear about that Dave, I agree that it is that one or two people that will ruin it for all of us respectful sharker's out on the island. Way to go with keeping a cool head and trying to get in touch with the rangers, To bad they did not answer/see the nonsense going on! I know I will be sure to keep an eye for stuff like that, especially that group. As for the shark goes, I hope it survived and was not in to bad of shape by the time the 18 minute ordeal was over!

to any one wanting to know more or even learn to shark fish pleas just ask we all are happy to take people out fishing (even more so if you offer to cover bait/gass, or at least split) i know dave has taken menny people out pleas ask for a ride or for help

and any one who says no realy dosent know just how close we are to losing this wonderfull teamsport

Sounds to me you guys are all avid anglers and enjoy fishing as much as I do...espicially sharking. I'm new to surf fishing for sharks on assateague Island and was seeking advice on rigs, baits, how far you have to cast, etc... Ive been offshore sharking a few times so I'm not completely new to sharking just looking for advice and pointers out there on the surf. Do you have to kayak your bait out? or how far out do you have to cast? I plan on using blue fish for bait that we caught and froze. Also, are there any spots that are better than others when targeting sharks on the island? I plan on going out in the evening with my Uncle the next couple of evenings. Any info would be very greatful. Thanks and tight lines.

Sounds to me you guys are all avid anglers and enjoy fishing as much as I do...espicially sharking. I'm new to surf fishing for sharks on assateague Island and was seeking advice on rigs, baits, how far you have to cast, etc... Ive been offshore sharking a few times so I'm not completely new to sharking just looking for advice and pointers out there on the surf. Do you have to kayak your bait out? or how far out do you have to cast? I plan on using blue fish for bait that we caught and froze. Also, are there any spots that are better than others when targeting sharks on the island? I plan on going out in the evening with my Uncle the next couple of evenings. Any info would be very greatful. Thanks and tight lines.

You don't need a yak, find a slough in the waves and fish it hard. Try to fish incoming after sunset. Pm me and ill fill u in on more details. I'm usually out sun thru Tue evenings. Id gladly meet up with ya. I'll post more on rigs later when I get more time.

That makes me really mad. Bunch of idiots. "Kids" or not, respect is respect- for everyone else, for the beach, and for the animal. Disgusting. I'm very happy to see how respectful you guys all are. Unfortunately, I've noticed that this respect has to be taught more and more by strangers- like you Dave- as parents and family fail to do it.

Did you get any licence plate numbers?

i tried but it was to dark, i can easily describe the vehicle though and it wouldnt be to hard to pick them out if i were to see them again. next time might not be so pleasant.

I'm very happy to see how respectful you guys all are. Unfortunately, I've noticed that this respect has to be taught more and more by strangers- like you Dave- as parents and family fail to do it.QUOTE]

it is duite a shame that society is nologer doing part of its job IMHO