greenmtnman

Fishing Report

9 posts in this topic

Well, since there is no report in this section I'll just start one.

I fished a little bit last week in Acadia National Park.

I fished the small cove up the road from Otter Cove on the Park Loop road in the national park. It has a rocky beach area, can't remember the name. I think we fished there 3 days for probably 3.5 hours total. Tried some shrimp for a bit the first time, lost something that seemed sizable, snapped my line immediately (was fishing with light action 8lb test). So I switched to my surf lure rod with 15lb braid. But shrimp was a hassle and we kept getting caught on the rocks and kelp so we switched.

Switched to lures and between me and my *new* wife (this was the honeymoon), we caught 6 Pollock ranging from about 6"-10" on blue and silver kastmasters, and 1 on a gold cabelas spoon. She caught 3 in about 30min and really enjoyed it.

Also fished Schooner Head for approximately 45min while waiting for dinner reservations. Last cast caught a 12" Pollock on a 3/4 oz blue and silver kastmaster.

The most frustrating part of the trip was the 45min I spent fishing at the Otter Cove bridge on the Park Loop Rd. There were at least 30-40, 10-20", schooling Atlantic Mackerel hitting the surface and swimming against the outgoing tide under and around the bridge. I threw everything I had at them- spoons of every color imaginable, storm swim shad, tubes, a gold deep water jig, a rapala (impossible in the current), a bucktail, and even a big bass worm. I had a couple of them pick up a kastmaster, but I don't know what the problem was- I just couldn't get a hook up. I think they were just hitting it and not really trying to go for it. Wife got sick of standing there and so we moved on.

Talked to Capt. John of the LuLu lobster boat very briefly about fishing after the lobster boat tour we did. He said it really sucks. He said the stripers ARE there, it's just really hard to find them (and we were there too early). He said there used to a fair number of flounder, dogfish, wolffish, and couple of other species but because of overfishing of many species, the small amount of fish available to catch is now really really scarce. He said it's made the lobstering better, but he said he'd really like to see the fish return, "it'd make it harder on us, but if that means getting the fish back, so be it".

It was good to wet a line, and get the gear warmed up again for our trip to <acronym title="Outer Banks">OBX</acronym> in 2 weeks.

Also fished for 3.5 hours in Rockport, <acronym title="Massachusetts">MA</acronym> on our way home. Had 1 pick-up but didn't feel very big, and lost it almost immediately (10seconds?). Fished Halibut Point St. Park, and around the little downtown area of Rockport. Saw a GIANT eel (3ft+) swimming around in the quarry of the Park. Wife insisted that I should NOT catch it, and because it was getting dark and I didn't have a <acronym title="Massachusetts">MA</acronym> freshwater licence I resisted. Barely.

I'll post some pictures of the Pollock and the ridiculous surf fishing conditions in Acadia when I get time this weekend- there was no sandy beach fishing on this trip!

Sounds like a nice trip thanx for the report can't wait to see the pics!

Nice report, looks like a great trip.

I hope the best to you and you Wife!!!

Good luck on OBX

Nice fisihing spot!! Looks like NOT easy rocks.

Great pictures.

great pics, at least you had fun..

Man, those rocks look like they would eat you up and toss you in.

Glad you were safe....

It was certainly not for the weak! I'm pretty confident on the rocks having grown up in New England- but a couple of times the waves got pretty close and it does get your heart racing if you're not paying attention.

Here's a couple more pictures, the first is from the top of Champlain Mountain, the best hike we did by far.

gjhbrtvby.jpg.48234a7830b1241540bd1897ab

hjtbnkhnkghu.jpg.410b1a99fd16ba98ecaf3bf