Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marshduck

HRBT flounder reports

2 posts in this topic

Hello eveyone,

It has been a while since i have been on here and have noticed that the reports have dropped off from last year. it seems like alot of the people are no longer active with there postings. I as well have been in and out of town with work and finally have a free weekend to do some fishing, (thank the good lord!!!) I put the boat in last night just to make sure it still ran and sure enough, cranked right up after a year of sitting.

So the questions is where do i go. Has anyone been fishing the HRBT lately? I'm not looking for anyones secrets just a little help to a fellow fisherman who is lost on where to start this year. Are any colors working better then others and what is the bait of choice? Last year the only place i fished was the HRBT and this year i would like to try something a little different, maybe a different veiw / location. Does Ruddy inlet hold anything this time of year? can someone recomend a different location that has been producing some tight lines?

thanks for the help in advance!!

If the boat is big enough the 4th island to the high rise is catching pretty well right now. Live Spot, Croaker or Mullet about 3-5" with a strip of squid or cut bait on a 3' leader to a 3-way or just cut bait on a double hook bottom rig with 1 - 1 1/2' leaders. Don't waste your time or $$ on colors because neked rigs work just as well, tie your own with 40 - 50lb. test mono. Water's deep and the current runs strong there so you'll need lead from 6-14 oz. to stay on the bottom and make sure the sinker has a leader of 10-12" so it's the only thing hitting bottom. Tie the sinker to your rig with 20 lb. test so if you get hung on bottom it's the only thing you lose, not the entire rig.

Fish right next to the piles and inbetween them in the rubble under the bridge and be carefull there's plenty of snags so it's kinda like wire-linning whenever the sinker hits pull up slightly but make sure you're close to the bottom because that's where the Flounder are !!

Good luck when you go !!