06.20.2011 CBass & C'Ya Cod

1 post in this topic

FishReport 6/20/11 <o:p></o:p>

Cbassand C'Ya Cod <o:p></o:p>

Bluefins<o:p></o:p>

MyKind of Research <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Thursday- 6/23/11 - Long Cbass Trip - 5:30 to 4:30 - $135.00 <o:p></o:p>

Thursday- 6/30/11 - Another Long One.. $225.00 Blueline Tile & Sea Bass -3:30 AM to 7 PM - 12 people sells out. <o:p></o:p>

HiAll, <o:p></o:p>

Someremarkable trips this last week. Had the very best cod bite I've everseen--ever--on the 18 hour trip 6/14. <o:p></o:p>

Codare leaving, moving north. We simply stumbled into a bunch. <o:p></o:p>

Tagged40 or so since my last report. Not sure what the future holds but Ibelieve lots of 20 pounders are in our not-too-distant future.. <o:p></o:p>

Alsoon that extra long trip we had three tuna strikes, one that really dumped someline -- caught none <o:p></o:p>

..rats.<o:p></o:p>

Laidin a day to recuperate then went and had a very fine regular trip with good seabassing --- And Three Tuna! <o:p></o:p>

Ol'Murphy (of Murphy's Law) started working our side of the luck when aclient, watching our forest of cedar plug lures trollingastern, declared loudly on the way out Friday: "You'll never get abite. You're going too fast." <o:p></o:p>

Ghostsof Murphy-past cheering in merry devilment.. A triple, a double, somesingles -- 7 bluefin tuna trolling in one day is certainly my bottomfishing record. <o:p></o:p>

Caughtcbass too later. <o:p></o:p>

We'reallowed 1 bluefin under 47 inches so we tagged the others. <o:p></o:p>

Thenext day again: Charter boats see this kind of fishing -- not me. Very fun. <o:p></o:p>

Taggedthe throwback tunas -- went cbassing. <o:p></o:p>

I'mhonored to have had so many long-time clients bowed-up on their first tuna; I'mcertain this was more tuna in a week than I've ever caught in a year--Ever. <o:p></o:p>

Sunday/Mondaywe made a 2 day search for deep water corals, Places where fish from ourinshore reefs winter. I doubt if undamaged deepwater coral communitiesexist. I'm positive most are lost. <o:p></o:p>

Wedidn't find any this trip. Will one day. <o:p></o:p>

Didfind some rocks; And, using Rick's newest camera creations, captured fantasticvideo. <o:p></o:p>

Alsofound blueline & golden tiles living in clay-cliff pueblos. <o:p></o:p>

Manthat's fun fishing; but too deep for our current video capabilities. <o:p></o:p>

At2AM, June 20th, 2011, after a double anchor set we lowered a camera onto athriving reef community. Cod, sea bass, tautog, a few flounder, many types ofgrowth & two types of coral graced the rocks we were anchored over. <o:p></o:p>

Despitemany invitations, I only had one scientist aboard. He, with many decades ofbenthic studies, was fascinated with what we viewed for the next hour. <o:p></o:p>

Amongthe shortest nights of the year; we looked at a few other inshore corals. Atsunrise several dozen cedar plugs danced astern -- Fish On! <o:p></o:p>

Catch4 more bluefins. <o:p></o:p>

Mykind of science.. <o:p></o:p>

Itsbeen difficult to convince Management that building/restoring reef restoresfish. <o:p></o:p>

I dounderstand; I appreciate and recognize some of the convoluted history offisheries, of who's funded & by whom, of political whim and presentreigning financial power: Perhaps soon substantial investment inre-reefing will finally be understood for the biological/economic driver itis.. <o:p></o:p>

Indarkest night with an underwater camera far below, we loosened an anchorline to slip off the reef just a few feet and see barren bottom--postindustrial fishing bottom--what it looks like when scraped bare. We could thenhaul-back a few feet of anchor line and watch life unfold, see manyspecies of economic import where they live, feed & spawn. <o:p></o:p>

Hereis where fisheries restoration will occur. <o:p></o:p>

Our eraof catch restriction--the dawn of regulation--was and will always remainnecessary: Putting the habitat back, however, will offer managementopportunities to create super abundances of fish. <o:p></o:p>

Indarkest night with an underwater camera far below, it was plain as day. <o:p></o:p>

http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/oceans/sap <o:p></o:p>

NationalOcean Council is accepting comment right now. See item #6 on this web page;Regional Ecosystem Protection and Restoration. <o:p></o:p>

Iemphasized discovery -- It is simply impossible to restore what you do not knowis missing. <o:p></o:p>

When the day comes that we have a coral restoration plan -- shallow & deep,region by region -- we'll have truly begun fisheries restoration..

YouTube search "Common Seafloor Habitats in the Mid-Atlantic"& "Maryland Corals" for video evidence - especially see thesecond half of Nick & Clarita's "Natural 3-D Bottom, Mid-AtlanticBight" -- much clearer, more professional(!) video than my work. <o:p></o:p>

"The Government" still thinks the mid-Atlantic is "all sand& mud" per Wigley & Theroux 1981..

We must discover important hard bottom habitat remains.

Then discover there used to be a lot more of it--An awful lot more.

Get to work re-reefing it. <o:p></o:p>

..justa simple truth. <o:p></o:p>

Regards,

Monty<o:p></o:p>

Capt.Monty Hawkins

mhawkins@siteone.net

Party Boat "Morning Star"

Reservation Line 410 520 2076

http://www.morningstarfishing.com/<o:p></o:p>