jimmies48

How big is your pole?

12 posts in this topic

The wife n kids just bought me a 15' surf rod for fathers day. Cant wait to use it. My other rods are only 10' so Im not sure how easily its going to cast. What do you guys like as far as the length of the rod goes? What are the pros n cons for a 15' rod

The pro is you got it for Fathers day. What is the make? What is the rod rated for weight (sinkers)? This will determine alot.

Most avid anglers have specific set up for the various species they are fishing for. I have both heavy and light set up around the 10-11' mark. The weight rating varies from 1-4 to 10-12 ozs.

Best thing is you get to wet a line this weekend.

I'm 6'1" and for throwing 8oz and bait a 12' rod has always worked great for me.

The rod is an Offshore Angler "Power Plus" with a Diawa Emcast 6000 Med action 15-40 lb line 3-8 oz lure. I have the same rod in the 10' length and love it.

More length / more distance in casting....once u get used to it

I have a cheeper version of BPS 15'er. My suggestion is to practice in a "safe" location. I never had a problem casting any surf outfit till I got this baby. I have the same reel, and a "Breakaway Cannon" w/40lb braid, I can throw 6-8oz 400-500yd no problem. I hit a couple pontoons & docks while practicing @ the river, ended up out in the the boat, in the middle of the river, alone, till I could practice enough to feel confident as to how far and which direction I was casting. Now I can throw 8 & bait over the bar, no problem.

I can throw 6-8oz 400-500yd no problem

either you need to start going to distance casting competitions or buy a tape measure !!

i think a tape measure is the answer ....................:confused3:

either you need to start going to distance casting competitions or buy a tape measure !!

i think a tape measure is the answer ....................:confused3:

LOL.. agreed. That is a LOOOOONG way.

LOL.. agreed. That is a LOOOOONG way.

yup it is ..

to the best of my knowledge , and my poor memory ; the record is 971 feet ??

I have a cheeper version of BPS 15'er. My suggestion is to practice in a "safe" location. I never had a problem casting any surf outfit till I got this baby. I have the same reel, and a "Breakaway Cannon" w/40lb braid, I can throw 6-8oz 400-500yd no problem. I hit a couple pontoons & docks while practicing @ the river, ended up out in the the boat, in the middle of the river, alone, till I could practice enough to feel confident as to how far and which direction I was casting. Now I can throw 8 & bait over the bar, no problem.

Now thats impressive! I think?

971ft is 330 some odd yards. Better get a new measuring device.

What are the pros n cons for a 15' rod

Pro: 15' rod will hold your line above a surf better with the same size rod holder and thus keep your bait from washing into the shore IF you can cast it out the same distance as your 10' rod. (Consult Pythagoras for the details of this concept.)

Pro: IF you have the "ass", you can cast further with the longer rod than you can with the shorter one, the end of your rod will be moving a fair bit faster than that of the 10' rod with the same rate of rotation. I've forgotten which Greek noticed this.

Con: Moving the same weight of sinker/bait combination will take a fair bit more effort to throw than on the 10'.

Con: Fighting a fish on a rod half again as long as you've been using will give the fish more leverage for the same amount of drag - you'll tire faster. Remember to use your drag and NOT try to horse the fish just because you have a big rod.

Con: You'll likely be using a larger reel on the longer rod - it weighs more.

I can throw 6-8oz 400-500yd no problem. <SNIP>Now I can throw 8 & bait over the bar, no problem.
Nobody's calling you a liar. They're just saying maybe you're mistaken. It's easy to confuse yards and feet. Maybe you meant 400 - 500 feet? That is a very respectable cast, by the way.
971ft is 330 some odd yards. Better get a new measuring device.

People practicing casting into water don't usually use any measuring device, or if they do, it's a line-counter which measures how much line went out - and that is problematic at best.