pohocker

? about Horrocks & Ibbotson surf rod

11 posts in this topic

Guys, this was attached to a Mitchell 306 I wanted at a yard sale, so now I own it.

Googling around produced almost no info on H&I rods that aren't fly fishing rods, so I'm wondering if you surf fishing veterans know anything about them, and if they were a quality item back in the day or just run-of-the-mill stuff.

It's a brown, 9'6" fiberglass, one-piece rod, in better than very good condition...the wood handle, especially, is in great shape. I'm thinking it would be a good wall-hanger if nothing else.

Thanks for any info you guys have.

Steve

Hey Jim, no problem-I'll try to post up some today.

Thanks.

Here's some pix...if you want to see something in particular I didn't show here, let me know and I'll take some more shots.

5852a5a01bfd9_HIsurfrod001.jpg.0e2940473

5852a5a022310_HIsurfrod002.jpg.3ce9afde5

5852a5a0280c9_HIsurfrod003.jpg.a4659115a

5852a5a02d7d2_HIsurfrod004.jpg.eff35fa68

5852a5a05081a_HIsurfrod005.jpg.d7084072b

General, I gained some insight into the H&I products for sure, even though the model # of my rod wasn't specifically mentioned.

Anyone need a wall-hanger? :)

Folks, here's what the expert wrote to me...

There are many surf casters which are quite short and would be mostly used as a pier rod or boat rod to fish at the bottom for flat fish or just off the bottom for cruising fish. What you have is definitely a rod that would have been used to target blue fish, stripers and other roaming salt water fish.

Basically if you were to purchase something similar in a rod this size the cost would be substantial and realistically would fish no better save for the wooden handle which may become slippery when wet and due to the weight heavy after a long day. I looked at the guides in your photos and they appear to have suffered from having been put away wet and have some salt spray and green growth. If you are a salt water fisherman the rod does not have a large value as a collectible since I would expect it to be in the $25-50 range, however if you were to replace the guides and wraps with more modern ones it may become a favorite fishing companion, I do hope this has been of some use to you. The rod is also pre Korean War and post WWII as it is the earlier method of making a glass rod, post Korean War would have used a scrim coat as is still used today giving the rod better protection and allowing the color to be other than the brown yours has, a good coat of bowling wax will help it and a good wash with fresh water after each outing will as well, warm regards…..