SMc

new shark regs for the surf

43 posts in this topic

just read the new regs on the de govt site i am not sure how to interpret them it sounds that if you hook a shark you are to not land it are you to cut your line when see it is a shark? i dont target sharks but do catch them anybody have a better read on the regs? thanks

My understanding is the same once its known to be shark that don't want it landed and my understanding of "out of water" is once the water is no longer supporting the weight of the shark.

Thanks for posting Dave. Yes, the rules have changed a bit in Delaware. It seems IMHO the "fear factor" of seeing these sharks landed on crowded beaches, had taken its toll. It wasn't too bad when an angler set up with a regular surf set up, but with yakkers using Tuna rods and Tuna heads, it got attention. Once again I was down on 3R's Rd looking for Spot and Kingfish. Much to my dismay, there they were lined up in the middle of swimmers.

I have to say, if you travel a great distance and want to shark fish like that, go to a beach that is not PACKED with tourists. I started north of the inlet and had 200 yards to the south of me and 80 yards to the north. Yes, I did manage a toothy critter or two. That is my point, lets not drawn attention to ourselves just for a "WOW FACTOR" from the tourists. If we keep going like this, I am sure more action will be taken.

I'm just sayin..............

The way I read it....It only refers to the "prohibited species" So, if you get lucky enough to catch a non-protected species, pull that bad boy right up on the beach!

Wow I can not beleave you are so....disrespectful as to post that. its one thing to think that but to completely undermine the DNR of DE.

People pleas keep it legal so we all can have a good time and if you are going to shark fish DON'T GO ALONE have a.buddy come along last thing anyone needs is to lose a finger or more

Now understand I'm an avid shark fisherman, I tagged to noaa, and have caught many shark bigger than guys using kayaks have caught. I for one will not set up near anyone else. I have seen many people set up right in between swimmers. That is just plain stupid. If your gonna Target shark you better have a plan, and setup as far from everyone as possible. I can continue but I'm tired. If anyone has any questions pm me.

I don't fish DE water often, but if i do hook into a big sand tiger or sand bar, I am going to call everyone of those who voted and enacted this bill to come unhook the shark for me while it is in the water. Maybe next time they try and legislate something they have no clue about they will think twice.

This dumb law is just another example of brain-dead bureaucrats.

PS -- yes, I agree you shouldn't be shark fishing in the middle of a swimming beach packed with people.

Wow I can not beleave you are so....disrespectful as to post that. its one thing to think that but to completely undermine the DNR of DE.

People pleas keep it legal so we all can have a good time and if you are going to shark fish DON'T GO ALONE have a.buddy come along last thing anyone needs is to lose a finger or more

What is disrespectful about Fishaholic's post? All he said is he is going to follow the law to the letter, that the DNR wrote. He mentioned NOTHING about breaking any laws.

I meant no disrespect, I call it like I see it. I know how all of this went down in Legislative Hall. The voice of the fishermen, who attended those meetings, went unheard. They chose the "fear factor" over angler safety and it was all about the tourist dollar. IMHO the anglers were disrespected.

I am for access and sport fishing rights. This doesn't set well with me. I have been way too involved way too long on issues like this. Mark my words, this is a precursor, if people don't change the location they are shark fishing. It really is that simple to be pro-active and have some forethought before landing a shark in front of tourons, just for the WOW factor. This is what got us in trouble. That is the only reason I have come up with. There is way too much beach to fish from that produce just as much.

Were you referring to my post?

What is disrespectful about Fishaholic's post? All he said is he is going to follow the law to the letter, that the DNR wrote. He mentioned NOTHING about breaking any laws.

IMHO the disrespect comes when turist-anglers read this and think "ignerince is bliss". i gratley enjoy sharking and dont want any one missout or mess it up it is unfortunit that this law was put in place but its understanable. i dont mean to hutr any feelings i just think id could have been worded better

first off this post is getting out of control.

secondly the article Dave posted is written by the associated press, we all know how the media can and will change stuff to benefit their ratings/public. besides it mentions nothing of tourists OR swimmers.

what you DE fisherman (and women) need to do is email the DNR or whoever is in charge up there and get an explanation from them IN WRITING. then post it on here and carry it with you in case you get harassed by a officer that doesn't know.

With out actually reading the rule written by the DE DNR, it sounds like they are trying to make a change to benefit all parties, but its hard to say with out reading the actual law. IMO if you are yaking or sharking' in the middle of a crowded beach then your an idiot and asking for trouble. if you are on the beach and swimmers/surfers pull up next to you, you should give them the courtesy and tell them you are targeting sharks, and maybe they should move on or down or away a little bit. if you are on a beach and its getting crowded then maybe you as the fisherman be the bigger man (or women) and move. Last year i had a group of teenagers hit the beach 50 yards south of me down in sand bridge, i had my wife hooked up with her first sand bar and the kids decided to go swimming. i was yelling at them as they drifted in front of me and they were yelling back, telling me to go F@#$ myself and this and that. until she beached the shark and one of them walked down to see what was caught and after i gave him an earful he got his friends out of the water. we left after that, but it shows you the stupidity some people.

my rant is done....you can all say what you want, but PLEASE keep this in mind.... it could be worse. the city of Virginia Beach has a law in place that makes it ILLEGAL to FISH FOR, TARGET, OR CHUM for sharks from the sand out to 500 yards, this includes all fishing piers we have down here.

Incase you haven't heard, the regulations appear to have been adopted as final making it illegal to remove prohibited species from the water. To read the entire text, click the following link, open the PDF version of the Register and search for "sharks" within the PDF document.

State of Delaware - Delaware Regulations - Current Issue

Quotes from the Register:

"The Department is proposing to amend Tidal Finfish Regulation 3541 concerning Atlantic Sharks in order to minimize potential injury to these protected and prohibited species by making it unlawful to remove them from the water, and to require their immediate release. The adoption and enforcement of this regulation would reduce some of the handling-related trauma and may discourage targeting these prohibited Species....

The Department shall submit this Order approving the final regulation to the Delaware Register of

Regulations for publication in its next available issue, and provide such other notice as the law and

regulation require and the Department determines is appropriate"

Well put Andrew, that is why I didn't chime in more. If anyone has a question or concern on shark fishing responsibilities do a search for my thread posted last summer called shark fishing responsibilities or just pm me. I will get back to you ASAP. Thanks for your posts finaddict, very helpful. All I am trying to say is use your head, don't set up near people swimming and so forth. That is why I offer my knowledge to those who want to learn.. just throw me a pm.

first off this post is getting out of control.

you can all say what you want, but PLEASE keep this in mind.... it could be worse.

Andrew K you are right! i want to aplogise (for my spelling and) any hurt feelings i may have coused

Whatever we do....were on the same side, and need to keep fighting for our rights...and use discretion when targeting sharks...im gonna have a great season....and not let this stuff bring me down....but I will use my noggin when i'm out there.

That is in essence all that is trying to be said, we need to use good judgement, don't drag the shark to far outta the water, make every effort to remove the hook unless gut hooked etc.. don't take pics while sitting on it. Just plan old common sense things. Remember shark are apex predators but out of the water they are very fragile. Limit the amount of time on land, fight them as quickly as possible because they will fight to the death, if a shark is to exhausted to swim it will die for sure.

As much as I hate to say it, I think we are eventually going to loose the southern parts of the beach that are "designated fishing areas".

Night fishing is a wonderful time to target these critters as well...privacy and no swimmers at that time, and casting works wonderfully due to the steep drop / no secondary bar. theres also quite a rush yakkin our baits in the dark.....especially after you get past the breakers..a little freaky...but thats not for everybody and safety is key....

Maybe I'm just being stupid but, aren't these Sharks already on the "NO KEEP" LIST?? And if that is correct what difference do the NEW REGULATIONS AND LAWS MAKE??

Maybe I'm just being stupid but, aren't these Sharks already on the "NO KEEP" LIST?? And if that is correct what difference do the NEW REGULATIONS AND LAWS MAKE??

Yes - sandbars, duskies, and sand tigers were already prohibited species. The new law makes it so that we cannot remove them from the water to remove the hook and take a hero shot.

I didn't follow the initial part of the story, but I'm sure it was at least partially prompted by hero shots of people sitting on/riding their catches. The former law said we had to release the prohibited species in a way that maximizes their probability for survival. Obviously sitting on a shark does not maximize its shot at survival, so the new regulations were implemented to clarify how we should release them to ensure survival.

Of course there were other political and economical reasons for the new reg, but there has been plently of that discussion all around the internet.

its my gess that thay want to make a "no target" list, yes ther are SOME on a "no keep" list but thay want people to not ever target shark ,IMHO, truly unfortunit

its my gess that thay want to make a "no target" list, yes ther are some on a "no keep" list but thay want people to not ever target shark ,imho, truly unfortunit

agreed