surffishing275

hook size

8 posts in this topic

what size hooks should i use for casting shark baits off the beach. i was guessing a 9/0 -12/0 but i dont know if thats right

That would work fine... You could go even bigger if you want. Also, make sure you use circle hooks.

I use the biggest circle hooks I can find that don't break the bank. Usually its a pack of Mustad 20/0

Also try not to use stainless steel or other types of hooks that don't rust.

Without having a "hook-standard" between makers its hard to say a good size the 0/9 that I use maybe another 0/12 the best way I could describe it is to look at a 50 cent piece (if anyone remembers those lol) and judge your hook off that should be about the same size

And please remember Shark fishing is a team sport don't go alone and don't keep them out of water too long

I bought a bag of 50 20/0 Circles online for $25. They work great, I've never had one break or bend.

I bought a bag of 50 20/0 Circles online for $25. They work great, I've never had one break or bend.
That seems like a good deal. Do you remember the site?

Eh....I can't remember.....best I can find is about 145 for 100 of them...which in reality isn't too bad. Boater's world has them at that price. Search their site for this number.

39960D