Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HULK

Outer banks surf fishing reports - 6/1/11 to 6/30

5 posts in this topic

I was surprised to find no Surf Fishing reports for the Outer Banks (various specific areas as Duck, Kill Devil Hills, etc.), so I started one. I'm from Maryland but fish the Delaware Surf more. I come to the OBX at least once a year But I haven't been fishing, mostly SCUBA the last couple years. If anybody is headed up this way check out the Maryland and Delaware Fishing Reports. We keep our reports pretty good and you couldn't ask for a nicer group of active Anglers. Nobody minds helping you out with Information or whatever.

Good Luck and Tight Lines,

Hulk

Nice!! share the catch or the skunk, a fishing day is a fishing day.

I know people travel to OBX a lot just share the news.

Hello. I traveled to Rodanthe and stayed at the KOA last Thursday, 9 June.

Fishing at the surf right in front of the KOA, I fished from 8:30 pm to 10:30 pm. Nothing except 1 croaker, which I hooked by accident as I was reeling in. Used a fish finder rig. There was a pretty constant 20 mph or so wind from west to east and waves were 3-4 feet with a quarter moon out. Lots of lights on the beach, unfortunately, due to families looking for sand crabs, which probably scared off fish.

The next day (6/10), I took a charter fishing boat (Cap'N Clam) out of Oden Marina for the 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm fishing in the Sound. Pretty slow with a couple of flounder at the legal size, 1 spanish mackeral and 1 blue. For the flounder, we hit 3-4 spots using bottom rigs. The spanish and blue were caught on trolling within the sound.

The next day (6/11), I went back out on the surf at the KOA in Rodanthe from 9:30 to 11:15 am. Lots of folks on the beach, but enough room to fish. Again, only a croaker to show for the time with very bright day, winds gusting about 20 mph from west to east and temp about high 80s.

That evening, the KOA has access to the sound, which is across the street from the campground. It was about three-quarter moon so pretty bright. The wind on the sound side was gusting well over 25 mph from the sound towards the shoreline. I fished two bottom rigs and caught 2 small dogfish sharks (last one was about 15 inches or so). No crabs. That part of the sound had lots of sea grass coming up into the shoreline so it was pretty miserable to walk around.

I used cut-up mullet for the surf fishing and for charter boat, squid.

Thanks for the report, lito!

My parents have been down in the OBX this week. My dad has been out surf fishing several times and caught nothing. He spoke with several other anglers and the only thing caught was 2 mullet out of Frisco. The surf fishing usually isn't too good once summer rolls around.