Rockboy42

Is it time?

10 posts in this topic

Well I know the toothy critters are starting to show up but is it time to break out the yakkin gear yet or stick to the heavers? Ill be down in 2 weeks and just currious if I should worry about bringing the yakking gear with me also? I am bringing my cousin who never really fished in saltwater before and his g/f so I am hoping to give it my beast to show them a few sharks.

Sandbar are showing up but on the smaller side, sandtiger should be getting bigger, but to be honest with ya, you don't have to yak out bait to get the biguns, I avg shark in the 7-8 ft range just off of casting, my biggest last summer was 9'6". Sand tiger. But just keep an eye on water temps, they hit 70 the toothies will be here.

Yea I was just hoping that yaking might increase the chances this time of year to show the guys a few sharks...I might just stick to the heavy casting stuff and save the hassle of dragging the yak and gear down for later in the year!

Nate, IMO, a yak would increase your odds of catchin as opposed to casting.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet, My cousin is a VERY novice fisherman especially in saltwater which is my only concern with bringing the yak and gear with me and him being my only help on the beach.

I've yaked with the inexperienced. Just have them hold the rod and maybe help launch you. The rest is up to you anyways. If you are an experienced yaker, and the ocean isn't in a fury, you should be fine. I'd bring it, because if you don't and then get the a good opportunity, you'll only be kicking yourself.

Plus a kayak could be useful for bay side fishing if action in the surf isn't great, or for something different.

Oh yeah,i would bring it,not that heavy a load to carry.and i agree you can also use it in assawoman bay....

For this time of year, I would bring it, only smaller shark in close, a month from now...that's a different story, regardless have fun and be safe.

yeah I think I am going to bring it with me if I get some time to get everything together and respool the Senators.

yes its time ! if your not a strong caster then bring the yak but if you can cast well and can pick out a good hole you wont need it ( wanting it is a diferint story) i have heard and seen a few toothies brought in the ones i saw wher on cast out in deep holes incoming tide