Dave

june 2011 fishing reports

95 posts in this topic

May was a great month for rock and blackies, some small sand tigers and sandbar shark have shown up so now would be the time to get out and prepare for the bigger toothies to show. It won't be long now. So get out and fish, have fun and be safe. Post your reports here catch or no catch.

I see some of you guys have a "fun may " on the sand... for Me was great too. But I didn't try AI ... still pulling Channel cats !! and some other small creatures. :eusa_dance:

Good luck for June guys !!!!:icon_pidu:

hay wdinarte when are we going to see you on <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>?..would like to meet up some time would be a lot of fun

Thanks for starting the thread, Dave. This should be a good month for fishing!

Yeah lets hope June is as good as May...hope to see/meet some of you guys finally on my trip down the 18-20th!!

hay wdinarte when are we going to see you on <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym>?..would like to meet up some time would be a lot of fun

I try this year to set a camping time and wet some line, last year I was at the island a couple of times but never have a chance to see any of You guys, let see this year. " :happy1: hope to see you guys on the sand :icon_pidu:

Thanks for starting the thread, Dave. This should be a good month for fishing!

Wouldn't give it for the world buddy, this is a great site.

well now im FINALY off work ( i have odd hours...) and i plan on hiting the surf later tonight !!

all right yall just got back and gess what...... SKUN-A-LISHOUS is back and going on strong!!!!!!!!!!!

Water color: clear/clean

Wind: light out of the North then East-South East

Sky: mix of sun and then some clouds followed by some clouds then sun

Water temp: unknown but warm

Tide: incoming to incoming

Time: Sat.1p.m. - 8p.m./ Sun. 7a.m. - 6p.m.

Baits: clam/chunks/peeler/FBBW

Rigs:modified FF and spot/kingfish rigs

Fishingilrpa and I decided to hit AI at the last minute on Fri. night so we were out the door bright and early Sat morning. We hit John Henry's as soon as we got down there and grabbed a few clams and some bunker. The clams were fresh, but the bunker was starting to get a little soft. I talked with Sonny the night before and knew the bunker wasn't as fresh as I had hoped, but it was something to bait up with no matter. We were out on the beach sometime after 9 and set-up just north of the Bullpen.

Boy, I still have a lot to learn when it comes to reading the beach. Once the tide went out later in the day, I soon realized I had set us up right on top of flat. Not getting there until right before high tide doesn't help. It definitely pays to look at the beach during low tide!

There was a couple fishing just south of us at what looked to be a hole at the edge of the flat. At least I knew it was deeper water then where we were. We didn't see them catch anything throughout the day. When the tide had switched back to an incoming late in the day, they packed up their gear and left. I thought that finally I can get us off of this flat and into a little deeper water. We moved on down the beach about 75yds. and set-up again. We fished a good protion of the incoming without much luck other then a short flattie and a blowfish.

Sun. we headed out early and set-up on the same spot with high hopes. It looked fishy the whole morning but we still didn't connect with anything all day. I should have checked the gas gauge and maybe we would have went down past the Bullpen.

After another uneventful day on the beach we packed it in. We headed North Mon. morning

All in all it was a great weekend at the beach, but our luck could have been much better. No matter, we will be back.

Sun night/ Monday morn, 5 sandbar shark in the 4 ft range, one big rough tail ray, last night one 4' butterfly ray.

Rockboy, yes dave only casts baits........he is the shark man.

Thx Andrew, rockboy I cast all my baits, I caught them all on bunker chunks.

Nothing from OC surf Saturday morning (except some great scenery), a few small tog Sat afternoon from the bulkhead at 2-4th St, and a lot of small ones Sunday with one that yanked the rod over the rail. By the time I snagged the rod back, the fish was gone. Frozen fleas Sat, live fleas Sunday (kids caught them in the surf). Stuck northbound til July, hoping to have the Toy down there for some JackSpot, Fingers, Masseys action.

Tonight, 3 butterfly rays between 49" and 66", and my personal best, 7'9" sandbar......casted out, will get a pick up as soon as possible.

hay yall hit the sand last night and all i got was a ray and two kings!!

here are the pics from last night.

DSC04299_800x600.JPG.b1893613f2ebccf39e0

DSC04305_800x600.JPG.ee9cb205cdc0d438638

DSC04310_800x600.JPG.683bbad691ba03ee1c6

DSC04311_800x600.JPG.15e58b71518a7ff389e

Heck of a job Dave. There is some serious pullage going on in that second picture.

"Heck of a job Dave. There is some serious pullage going on in that second picture. " you have no idea...lol

Wow, that is a beast! Very impressive catching that shark on a casted bait. Good job, Dave.

I have to admit I'm still hurting today, I didn't think id ever catch a sandbar that size on 17# test line.... on a side note id never have caught it if it wasn't pregnant. I clocked it out, 1.2 mile walk up the beach to land it.

Awsome shark Dave...bet the back was burning on that one!