Dave

barrier island report

10 posts in this topic

Decided to try my first trip to virginia barrier islands, me and a buddy, took his 14 ft aluminum boat out and what an adventure. Got a late start, hit bayside by noon. By 2:30 we realized we were screwed. Boat got stuck on a sandbar, might I add the whole bay where we put in is a sandbar. We got out and pulled the boat half a mile until we got into knee deep water. Managed to find our way to the inlet between two islands and parked off the beach of the southern island of the two. Cast out our headers by 3:30 by 4 I had a screamer, end up finding out a guy in a boat hit my line, yelling every curse word in the book the boater stops and untangles me from his sonar mount. I'm rebaiting and my other rod goes off.20 minute fight I see u hooked a southern ray. I pull back harder on the rod and snap! Rod is now in three pieces, finish getting the ray beached, release then said the hell with it and decided to drift fish, we are drifting for no more than 20 minutes and I feel a slight tap, I pull back on the rod and all heck breaks loose, line start ripping off so I tighten the drag, fighting carefully thinking I got a red I ease tension on the fish. After a few minutes I get to my leader so lock down the drag and finish the fight. Big mistake, my buddy is freakin cause whatever I got is towing us out the inlet into the Atlantic ocean. It spins the boat twice and finally I see it.5 1/2 ft sandbar shark. Buddy is pumped and grabs the shark and pulls it into the boat. Bad idea in a very small boat, shark goes ballistic, we are standing on the benches. Finally subdue it before it or us get hurt, remove the hook and back it goes. Wander back through the labyrinth of small islands to get back to the dock. No issues, on the ride home found out the hard way my buddy didn't secure the cooler lid and off it went into the middle of traffic.... sunburned, exhausted, and looking like an idiot it was awesome.

sounds like yall had a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! any picks????

Not a bad trip for winging it by the seat of our pants. At least now I know where to go.

That's great. Glad you got your feet wet!

Sounds like a typical day on the seaside Dave. If you want some local experience along or a bigger flats boat to be on hit me up next time you make the trip. I live near the Quinby / Wachepreague area.

Sounds like a typical day on the seaside Dave. If you want some local experience along or a bigger flats boat to be on hit me up next time you make the trip. I live near the Quinby / Wachepreague area.

Will do, maybe early fall, not sure yet.

Early fall youll find me on the bayside chasing the specks. I'll take ya....but you have to sign a confidentiality agreement and wear a blind fold coming and going!!! HAHA.....anytime man.

Yeah, I have found its hard to find any info on which islands to hit and such for drum but managed to figure it out on my own. Send me a pm when/ if you go after reds in the fall, id gladly tagg along. Secret is safe here, I'm the same up here at ai. I don't catch the big toothies by given my trade secrets away, lol.