Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave

shark fishing need to knows

14 posts in this topic

Ok, I have been asked to start a thread on shark fishing how to's. first things first, be safe and go with someone experienced your first time or two. I'm more than willing to meet up with anyone who wants to learn and respects these critters with the respect they deserve. I have caught hundreds or shark most tagged and all released. last year my average size sandtiger caught was 7'. biggest of the year was 9'4". All on casted baits.

so no you don't have to yak your bait out to catch big shark. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, just stating my knowledge for you new guys to learn a lure about me. ok. respect the shark. have a plan set out before you go out. I have a kit I keep together just to save time when releasing the shark. my kit includes wire cutters in case the hook is to deep to remove, long pliers 12" us best, tape measure, small sand spike because most likely you will not be close to your vehicle when you land the critter and a camera. all is kept in a back pack. shark fishing is a team sport don't do it alone. if your fighting a fish your partner grabs the kit, puts it on your back and goes in to aid in landing the fish. grab the shark by the tail and keep it in front of you at all times, bring it into the first break. you must keep the shark wet. but also where you stay safe also. spike the rod. if you are fighting the fish you will remove the hook.

your partner should secure the shark and open the jaws. now when u say secure the shark I don't mean sit on it. when on land the sharks own body weight can kill it. straddle the shark just to keep it from thrashing but do not apply any of your weight on it. don't take pics until the hook is removed the flash will cause the shark to thrash around. also when removing the hook the shark tend to snap like alligators. always be alert and ready to jump back at a moments notice. shark tend to tense just before a strike so have your partner give a signal, grunt yell whatever to alert you to the upcoming strike.

you usually have less than a second to react. after the hook is out snap a quick picture, don't stop to review it just have faith its a good pic. grab the shark by the tail and pull it into the ocean have your partner watch for rogue waves and alert you to them. go out to about knee to waist high water, the bigger the shark the deeper the water. wait for a wave to come along with a good pull to it then turn the shark towards the ocean, let the water go in and out a few times to help revive the shark then when your sure its revived release it on an outsuck. have everyone watch for it until your positive its ok.

any questions ask. as for rigs that can be another thread.

Here's a question. Maybe I'm just a wuss, but I'm always nervous bringing toothy critters back into the water. Sketches me out. I usually take them out about shin deep (granted I've never caught anything over about 4ft) and as soon as they kick let the waves take them. Granted, it's wrong, because many times they "wash back up" and I have to go again. I've never had one die, but I know this is probably more stress than is necessary. Whats the chances of getting tagged? Thoughts?

not sure by what u mean. if the shark are smaller u can release them in the first break, let the wave pull them out, its not unusual for them to swim back to shore, they get a little disoriented. just a note though, if the surf is rough don't attempt to shark fish, u risk injuries to both yourself and the shark. as for tagging, its hard to get into. I suggest getting the experience needed before attempting. it takes planning and perfect timing for it to be successful. I have caught and released many without tagging due to the situation being less than perfect. plus last year noaa had a serious lack of tags. I would go through a set of 5 to ten tags in a day or two and it take noaa 3 weeks or more to send me more. hope its not as bad this year.

the best way to hold a shark for release is one hand at the base of the tail the other at the forword base of the dorsil fin(fwd dorsil fin for sandtiger) then wade out. you may have to take a few waves to get the best one to releas on you want to good strong out suck and release about 10 to 5 sec be for the next wave crash this will pull the shark under that next wave and you cut down your "wash up" rate but you shoud ALLWAYS keep wach for maby 1 to 2 min depending on how tramatick the fight and landing wher

thanks for the replies. I do precisely as GENERAL has suggested, and I'm always paranoid about getting any fish back in the water ASAP so that they will live- whether it be a blue fish or a shark.

By "tagged" I meant getting chomped- I'm always paranoid that I'm going to get "tagged"- chomped, bit, gashed, lacerated, etc. Perhaps it's just inexperience from the sounds of it. Again, haven't had any shark over 30lbs yet, so I haven't really had to wade in deep- But I've lost a couple that I'm sure were big, and I always wondered how I'd get them BACK in the water without getting my leg chomped. That's all I meant.

Thanks guys-

thanks for the replies. I do precisely as GENERAL has suggested, and I'm always paranoid about getting any fish back in the water ASAP so that they will live- whether it be a blue fish or a shark.

By "tagged" I meant getting chomped- I'm always paranoid that I'm going to get "tagged"- chomped, bit, gashed, lacerated, etc. Perhaps it's just inexperience from the sounds of it. Again, haven't had any shark over 30lbs yet, so I haven't really had to wade in deep- But I've lost a couple that I'm sure were big, and I always wondered how I'd get them BACK in the water without getting my leg chomped. That's all I meant.

Thanks guys-

What I usually do is grab the shark by the tail and walk backwards towards the ocean and as soon as I feel the shark start to float and get its natural bouancy I spin around like a clock and swing the shark into deeper water and I head towards the shore. The only real skill in this is timing the waves so you know when to start the release.

Remember that shark is just trying to get back into the water, its not thinking "I am going to show this guy a thing or two and bite him".

"Remember that shark is just trying to get back into the water, its not thinking "I am going to show this guy a thing or two and bite him"."

Agree 100%...sometimes its just hard to remember that when you're standing in the ocean, at night, holding an animal 90% muscle and 10% teeth.... :)

Thanks guys-

What I usually do is grab the shark by the tail and walk backwards towards the ocean and as soon as I feel the shark start to float and get its natural bouancy I spin around like a clock and swing the shark into deeper water and I head towards the shore. The only real skill in this is timing the waves so you know when to start the release".

this works quite well for the lager 5.5' and up, super heavy guys. but when I do this with the small & light or " juvinile/yung/new born " and dogfish thay can wash up wash up more often with this methide but thats just experince tho

this works quite well for the lager 5.5' and up, super heavy guys. but when I do this with the small & light or " juvinile/yung/new born " and dogfish thay can wash up wash up more often with this methide but thats just experince tho

Yes, i was talking about the big sandtigers that are easy to hook into. The smaller sharks than you can pick up and carry out can be released just like most other fish.

hey i found this on the internet, it shows both sam and dave and the proper ways to handle a fish..... :icon_wink:

I've watched that vid before not knowing who it was. Cool. Gleaned things just from watching. Good to know I don't need to freaking send my baits into the next county as I've tried to do in the past as well. Makes me think I can break out the monster rod again b/c I can cast it out as far as you guys in the vid-

You don't have to toss far out that is for sure, but the location is key.

I found that out 2 years ago in Ocracoke, NC. Fished for 4 days- couple of small blues, tiny sharks (<12"). Guy next to us, only about 100yards down the beach was hammering blues, some flounder, tons of rays and sharks, and a couple of reds. It was so frustrating- four of us, spread out across 100 yards of beach catching squat, he's catching, 4-6 fish an hour. He left on the 5th day, we moved down there, I could see a wicked rip going out, and a very clear break in the bar. That's when all the "reading the beach" stuff on here really clicked. We did great from that point on. I get it now. I've done much better since.