Coop

striper encased in salt. Tasty!

10 posts in this topic

Caught a shorter striper, 31" over the weekend...always wanted to try a striper surrounded in salt but the stripers are usually to big to stick in the oven whole...had one with salmon once but never a striper...the salt makes a crust that that you need to break off when done... You use the whole fish and its completely covered in salt...just scale and gut it and stuff with lemon, garlic and rosemary or whatever herbs you want to throw into the belly...it was by far the best tasting striper I ever had! Try it! My wife and kids normally are not a huge fan of striper but they destroyed that fish. Nothing left but bones...the great thing is the belly meat/fat, its great tasting and seperates from the bone very easily and the skin just peels away...and its a very cool presentation.

Alton Brown did almost a whole episode on this on "Good Eats". If anyone wants to try it you might be able to find the good eats episode on youtube.

I was going to mention that I saw this on the Food Network by AB, but Jim beat me to it. Always wanted to try it as well.

Awesome! Now all I need is a striper.

Awesome! Now all I need is a striper.

Sam, I have seen you fish....You can catch those things blindfolded!

This is a regular special on the menu at Fausto's Antipasti in OC & it's to die for

With or without the head? I've got no issues with the head on but my wife and kids get a bit freak out by it.

with head, tho without head will work.

Thanks. It does sounds really good. I'll giver a try if I catch another one. The big "IF" I catch another keeper lol. Do you think it will work with Blues (20+inchers) or do you think it will be too oily?