GENERAL

looking for a quality surf rod

7 posts in this topic

Hay yall I’m looking for a quality surf rod for conventional casting i know tica is a great rod i have 2 and really like them. I’ve been in the surf for 3 years now and am looking to upgrade. just wondering what yall think would be a good sturdy rod move up to and please let me know where to get them iv dome a little searching on the net but can’t find anything of substance

rainshadows are very nice rods. You have to get a custom rod builder to make you one, or learn how to wrap a rod yourself.

The blanks are around 200 to 300 dollar and components are about 50 bucks extra for normal (not top end stuff).

For the money, I would go with the 12' Tica any day.

I did find a web sight that as rainshadow blanks and buildup supplies a 1567 blank was $169.

Not sure I could swing building one up with my budget

A 12' Ocean Master rated 6-12 oz. is a great heaver for <acronym title="Assateague Island"><acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym></acronym>. They run about $150 but can be had cheaper when on sale. My buddy just got a 12' Daiiwa Sealine for $70. It's a pretty nice rod for the $. MH, Graphite, Fuji guides, etc... I threw it last week. Not as much backbone as the OM, but a very nice rod for the $$$. I'm probably going to pick one up if I can get the heavy for that price. You may want to look at Breakaway also.

General, the Ocean master 12' 6-12oz is a great rod. I have one paired with a penn 545 conventional and it launches a rig pretty good with plenty of backbone for sharks and them big ol butterfly rays. i also have the 10' ocean master 4-8oz with a penn 525 mag, that short pole till get you out there as well, hope this helps

Upgrading and expecting to spend the same as you did on the rod from which your are upgrading presents some challenges. It's sort of like you are asking "what could I have bought for the same money that would have been better.

Well, for my money, a Tsunami.