sureshot43

Jetty Baitcasting reel Question

8 posts in this topic

I have always used spinning equipment. Looking to try a baitcaster from jetties. What reels should I look at? Looking for something to handle Blues,flounder,small stripers and sharks,etc.

I have an aboo-garceia 6500 ambasiter that works for light surf like bait fishing and cast an retrieve used it a few times with a fish finder rig. It will Händel allsize dog fish even had a striper on it once that was fun

I picked up a Like new Penn 209 at a yard sale for $5. I re-spooled with 20lb. Berkley BG. I also got a 7'6" Bass Pro Trophy Class rod that is rated for 12-50lb line. Will this combo work for Jetty fishing? Will it be castable?

The Reel you have is a boat reel. In my judgement it is not really suited to casting. The rod should work with an appropriate baitcaster, however if it were me, I would prefer something more in the 8/12 to 9 foot range for the jetty.

Edited by Catch This
spelling

It kind of depends on your jetties and rod as to your reel selection. A distance casting baitcasting reel is rarely a level-wind. A reel capable of reeling in a shark would not be used for fluke usually. But I'd suggest a Penn Squall 15 star drag for a general all purpose baitcasting reel w/o levelwind (whch means no - plugs/metal) for a wide range of rods.

I had My doubts,but at $5 I wasn't going to pass up a good reel. I am actually looking at the Squall.

For $5.00 the Penn 209 (if in not too bad of shape) is a great buy. It just isn't a cast-able reel in today's sense of the word. But it is a great boat/pier reel.

It's all but new! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I've got less than $40 in the whole rig.