Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flatfish

Tire Deflators damaging valve cores?

4 posts in this topic

I just got my first 4wd vehicle, an F250 long bed crew cab, and I've noticed bent valve stem cores within the first three or four trips. I bought Staun Tire deflators. Could these be the problem, or is it the crummy hose heads at most state parks. The pin inside the heads really seems to float around. I try to center it, but I'm still having problems. I've had to replace three bent valve cores already at the pumps because they were not letting air in correctly after a day at the beach. Is this normal?

Also, my truck tires are ten ply and run 80 psi. I've been running on the beach at 20 psi with no problems so far. What do you other guys run in your 80 psi tires?

its most like cheep valve core's and hard use. not to say you did somthing wrong. thay may have been weekend befor you got the truck. if its just the core, any auto or general merchindice store like "wall-mart" shoud have replacement core's and its always a good idea to have extra cores incase you lose one airing down

Replace the stems, its probably your deflators, I actually take my stem out, count to twenty and reinstall the stems to air down, never fails always set to 15psi. Believe it or not its also quicker to. Just make sure you carry spares in case one blows out when u remove them. I air down to 20 if the sand looks packed. If its soft 10- 15psi. Hope this helps.

I bought four packs of cores and a tool after the first trip just because I noticed some of the core tips had been bent. I may have been rough or careless with them the first time, but I've been real careful since then. I hope I dont have to replace the whole stem, because they have a new air pressure sensor in them, and they are not cheap..

Pulling the core to deflate does sound alot quicker, but the deflators are preset to stop at the right pressure. You basically screw them on wait a few minutes and drive on the beach. They are very convenient.

Maybe it's just another thing I'll have to deal with:icon_rabbit: