Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew K

Surf leader questions.....for Shuie

9 posts in this topic

didnt' want to completely jack the fishing report thread so here goes. i wanted to add some input to the questions you asked about surf fishing leaders....

when fishing the surf i use 15lb or 20lb main line tied with an albright to my shock leader. my SL20SH has 15lb line with about 20 feet of 40lb shock leader. my three SL30SH have 20lb line with about 20ft of 50lb shock leader. i found if go too big or long with the shock leader, the thicker line comes off the spool at a different speed then the main line and i tend to blow it up more. now obviously there are many different types of line you can use for shock leader, i tend to shy away from "leader material" line because for some reason its thick as hell. my favorite shock brand is either cheap-o calypso brand line from wally world or ande's. people laugh at my wally world special calypso brand, but check out my pictures, it works for me :happy7:.

for drum and striper you dont need any special sort of rig, a simple fish finder is all you need. i tie my shock directly to a 100lb swivel, then 3-5 inches of either 100-150lb mono. the big mono is crimped not tied (because tieing 150lb mono sucks). some people say that is over kill, but if i get a shark or a big blue, i like the extra thickness. the 100 or 150lb is crimped striaght to a 8/0 circle. well most of the times. if im using 6/0 or smaller i use 100lb mono, if its 7/0 or above its 150lb mono. the shorter the hook leader (or bite leader) is, the closer your weight and bait will be together and the further you will cast and you wont get the "whirly-bird" effect like sam mentioned.

now when im shark fishing, shock leader is tied to a 100lb swivel then i have 4-6 feet of 150lb - 200lb rub leader, then another swivel, then 4 to 5 inches of wire for the bite leader. the sinker slide and sinker go on the rub leader, so when you cast its still close to your bait. i attached two pictures to show you what i use. using the rub leader for sharks takes a little practice casting, typically i do an off the ground cast for when using a rub leader, i found that easier for me.

first picture is a typical fish finder rig, or "drum rig". all I typically use in the surf.

second picture is a shark rig i use

and the third is my evidence that my techniques work for me:angel3:

keep in mind that these are the things i found that help me out and work best for me. after years of learning from the best (dave, sam, others) and honing the techniques to how they work for me. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

drumrig.jpg.07e70073f1d4a16fdb0260851127

5852a59e56326_sharkrig.jpg.d61b83f5530d9

0829001441.jpg.c5d995f3ac2e92954a14c7c8c

now obviously there are many different types of line you can use for shock leader, i tend to shy away from "leader material" line because for some reason its thick as hell. my favorite shock brand is either cheap-o calypso brand line from wally world or ande's. people laugh at my wally world special calypso brand, but check out my pictures, it works for me :happy7:.

I absolutely love berkely big game for my shock leaders. It comes in all kinds of colors and LOTS of different strengths. You can get 30 40 50 60 80lb for shock leaders.

I do use leader material for 2 or 3 " mono between the hook and swivel.

PS -- for sharks with yakked out baits weedeater line is great (cheap) to use!!!!

Jim, big game is actually one of two lines i prefer for my main line. the big game 20lb solar collector (bright bright ass green) and the green ande's cast better, tie better, feels better, etc, then anything else i have tried (including suffix).

Jim, big game is actually one of two lines i prefer for my main line. the big game 20lb solar collector (bright bright ass green) and the green ande's cast better, tie better, feels better, etc, then anything else i have tried (including suffix).

I use 20lb big game on my spinners. For some reason I have a tendency to blow it up on my convo's. I think its a little too stiff for me and i usually blow it up before I make it past the break in point where it soften's up a bit and lays better on the spool. I have been having pretty good luck with cajun red 17lb line, I wish they had a bright hi vis color though.

I know you don't like it but I still havn't found anything that comes close to Sufix Titanium Plus!

Nice write up!

I actually have switched to a longer bite leader....Use to have them from 1" to 5" and have switched to 12" ...I get the helicopter affect occoasionally, but figure if it happens, need one in the middle anyway.

I swear I was missing a hook up here and there with the short leaders...maybe the weight was being inhaled and impeding hook set. I have since made the change in October, and haven't missed a fish...at least that I know of...not even sure it matters and may just be lucky so far...but Iam sticking with the longer leader.

Great info, guys.

Andrew, that was a great presentation!

Hulk

Hey Andrew, sorry for the late response. I just got back and saw your post, Very informative. I set up something similar to that from the info gatheredon the other post. Didnt have any luck this weekend but I did get to see a seal with a pretty good hole in it. I printed this post out for future reference. Thanks again for all your help.