allen

new spinning rod

10 posts in this topic

just bought a new st croix spinning rod it has guides that almost look like casting guides thought i got the wrong rod and called st croix they said this is supost to decrease weight and improve casting distance just wondering if anyone had experince with this or opions

tried it out in the yard seemed to work fine but didnt have te space to really get into it

I have friend that has both the Legend and Mojo . . . they love it with those concept guides.

Lots of people have had very good results with them. A lot of the custom rod builders are actually going to micro guides now.

I've a friend who built his newest spinning rod on a St. Croix blank with micro guides - he loves it. I'm still skeptical.

That system with a long cast spools and braid will equal my conventional setup and beat them in a head wind.

fanilley got to trie out the rod had no problem with the eyies not convinced thier better but thier at least equal as fer long cast spools what were good choices

I read somewhere that the micro guides are better for braid... also watched a video of a long casting demo and they put a spinning reel with braid on a casting rod and it casted better than on the spinning rod with larger guides. I know I've had issues heaving with braid on my big spinning rod, line wrapping around a guide in mid cast and POP goes another rig... I switched back to mono, but I'm gonna try braid again on this spinning reel on a casting rod and see how it does.

Allen not sure your budget so here goes

TICA GX SCEPTER $85

DAIWA EMCAST PLUS $80

EMCAST Sport $60

DAIWA Emblem® Pro-A $135

SALTIGA SURF $400

SHIMANO PA ALBRID CI4 Type-Standard $300

With all this talk I now want to go out and get a new set up....