Finaddict

Delaware Surf Report 5/1/11-5/31/11

40 posts in this topic

Fished from 1:00 to 6:00== Caught 1 Rock (28 inches) , the rest ALL SKATES! I hope the weather gets better, I only have until Friday.

The Striper fishing is "off the hook" at IRI. I must have seen 50-60 landed. Yes, I got a few as well.

Kings have moved into the suds and the occasional "biter" along with Sandtigers have been caught.

Please note Delaware regulations have changed for "Sharf fishing". I will try and find a link to the info, but "landing" a Sandtiger is prohibited.

Black Drum on Broadkill Beach. I went the other night and was catching Trout 2 at a time. I never got a keeper, but they are here.

fished iri last night until around 9:00. saw quite a lot of people... got a 30 inch blue under the bridge. had to leave but was wondering if the stripers showed up later. anyone know, or care to tell?

Please note Delaware regulations have changed for "Shark fishing". I will try and find a link to the info, but "landing" a Sandtiger is prohibited.

Per, Sharks , it appears Delaware made it illegal to land prohibited species which as we all know includes Sandbars, Duskies, and Sand Tigers.

This should make for an interesting summer. I'm interested to see how enforcement of this is handled and what penalties will be imposed for violators. I can say that I defiinitely won't cast a shark bait in the water during the day.

Edit: After further review, this does not appear to be the new regs that apply to surf anglers. The link I posted defines "land" as causing to go on shore from a vessel. I inquired with a <ACRONYM title=Delaware><ACRONYM title=Delaware>DE</ACRONYM></ACRONYM> offical who replied that the proposed regs are being reviewed and a final decision should be made within the upcoming days. She said the final decision would be posted on the DNREC's website as well as in the Delaware Register of Regulations.

If anyone heard otherwise, please share since the biters are making their way into the surf.

The only thing I heard was last year and that in was New Jersey. They said you aren't allowed to Yak the bait out. They made this Big Game Fishhing. I must have missed the Delaware stuff.

Besides, how can you NOT land the fish if you hook it??

since i fish md for sharks this really doesnt apply to me but what alot of people do in md is instead of dragging it onto the sand were you may injure the shark they keep it in the very shallow water to remove the hook and take picture etc.

this is technically not "landing" it because it is still in some water.

I'm back home and didn't even bring back a suntan. I'll be back in a couple weeks.

Hulk

WOW! Where to start....... I camped with the family this weekend.

I fished Fri, Sat and sunday. Friday I hit the surf in the afternoon for a few hours. On my first cast. before I could even put the rod in the rod holder, I was slammed. I did not even have time to loosen the drag. The rod was almost ripped from my hands. Drag started screaming and I soon realized I had a ray. Shortly after that my second rod goes down hard. This looked like a striper. I ran over and started reeling. I got a short run and a few headshakes and the adrenealine started pumping. The fight was over just as quick as it started and I realized I'd been had. Another 48" smooth dogfish:disgust:......man I'm sick of those things. I fished for another hour or so then had to go meet the family for dinner.

Saturday I got up early and headed out to the beach. The tide was dead low and the water was nice and clear. I found a fishy looking spot and set up a little closer than I like between a couple of other folks. About 8:30 I got a nice knockdown. After a short fight with a couple of weak runs, I beach a 39" rock. 15 minutes later my short pole gets whacked. I ran up and started reeling. This fish felt much heavier and was way more feisty. After three good runs and many head shakes, I guided him through the waves and onto the beach. A nice fat 44" rock. Just then my neighbor down the beach yells at me. I look up and my big pole is doubled over:happy5: I run over and grab it and beach a 36" striper. I grabbed the 44" striper and ran him down to the surf. I ran water through his gills until he pumped his tail and cruised off through a wave. I stayed until about noon with no more hits.

Sunday I decided to hit the beach early. I got out at 6:00 and picked a spot a little south of where I was on Saturday. There was a guy sitting in my honey hole:icon_pirat: sleeping in a chair with his rods set up next to him.

I looked over the beach. You could not have asked for a fishier looking day. The water was clear. There was a 3/4 moon in the sky. The wind was about ten mph out of the East, and the sky was overcast. It was a slow morning.

I caught a skate and the guy to the N. of me caught one too. About 8:45, I realized I only had two bunker left. I put fresh heads on two rods and a fresh chunk on the other. I walked down to talk to my neighbor, thinking that I always get hits when I walk away from my rods.

I chat with the neighbor for about 5 minutes when he yell that I have a hit. I turn around and my heavy rod is being slammed back and forth. I start running the forty yards down the beach to my rod. Just before I get there, I see the rod start to come out of the holder. I grab it and the reel starts screaming. Whatever it was, it was stripping line off fast. The first run was so long and powerful, that I could see my mono backing. I started tightening the drag but the fish was not slowing. Stingray. I just knew it.

The fish turned and I got some line in. Just then It made a second powerful run stripping everything I'd taken back in and then some. I was down to the 17 lb mono backing. The fish stopped running and started with a series of head shakes. The guy up the beach had made his way down by this time and asked if I had a stingray. I told him I thought so, but that now it was shaking it's head. I pulled in about 50 yards of line before the final run, then worked the fish into the beach. I still could not see it. I saw a flash of white in the waves and thought it was stingray.

The fish made another short run before I saw it in the wave. It was a giant striper. My neighbor said holy &^^*, or something like that, and jumped down in the waves. I gave the fish a little tug and pulled him into a wave that washed him right up. Holy %&^$# I said....47.25" and fat. I'd estimate bt 40 and 45 lbs. I got a few pics and took a few measurements and let her swim for another day. Man that felt good.

DSCN1026.jpg.8ef278d961fc706296cc2d9a9fd

DSCN1028.jpg.0094a543d36a159c16494f6d38b

DSCN1027.jpg.c25465517c9f352c58ed2b204ab

DSCN1033.jpg.88b33ef32b645b9b9f67709be43

Sounds like a good trip Flatfish. What were you using for bait??

Breezy,

All of my fish in the last week or so came on bunker heads, with the exception of one that was taken on a chunk.

I missed you by about 20 minutes. I heard you nailed them then left them. WTG

Well after Flatfish getting his and scaring all the fish, Andy, Destiny, Zoie and I headed to Broadkill Beach for a few Drum. We got Croakers, Sandperch, Kingfish, Blowfish, Trout and of course a few Uglies as well. Croakers were 13", Kings12", Sandperch 6" and Trout 12". The Uglies were up to 32". Here is a few pix............

Broadkill52111003-1.jpg

Broadkill52111004-1.jpg

Broadkill52111005-1.jpg

Broadkill52111008-1.jpg

Broadkill52111007-1.jpg

Broadkill52111002-1.jpg

Finaddict,

I'm sorry I missed you guys. It looks like you had fun with the black drum. Hmmmmm, that guy (thanks again) in the last picture looks familiar.