Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
knot crazy

ESVA Floundering Report

2 posts in this topic

Not sure if there's any other yakers on this board but the report I've got envolves yak fishing in areas that are also accessible by motor boat so here it is.

Being that the Flounder season on the ES is supposedly about 3-4 wks. old and the Red Drum season is just getting started my fishing bud Rick and I decided to hit the top of Mogothy bay looking for a Flattie or 4. After reading reports from Kevin (AKA Kayak Kevin) Whitley I guess we should of picked the latter but who knows.

We launched at wise Pt. @ 0800 on Sat. (4/30) and tried to fish some spots outside where we had done well in the last few years but between the hard ebb current and the building 10-20 kt. north winds we decided to fish the more protected creeks and channels inside.

We drifted with the outgoing and again with the incoming currents picking up a steady bite of Flounder but as usual the "keeper" size was difficult to find. We were bottom jigging with what we call a GULP/Gudgeon sammich that is made up of a lead head just heavy enough to straight-jig the bottom that is dressed up with a white/pearl GULP and a fat Gudgeon on top of it.

We both caught 7-8 fish of which none were under 16" and I had 4 over 17" inches but none were keepers. Rick was a little more fortunate with one that went 18" and was invited home for dinner. All fish caught on the moving current with none during the slack.

Great start to the spring yak season on the ES but I think big Drum and Striper may be included in the next trips targets.

nice! glad you caught some! thanks for the report